WCMM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
Is 8 WCMM to much for a 5 gallon hex? filtered well and do weekly water changes.Water parameters are good.
Thanks,betta1 :)

betta1...

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!!

Personally I think you might be stretching it a little with 8 White Clouds (Tanichthys albonubes) in a 5-gallon hex. The hex tanks are taller (with less surface area) than a regular 5-gallon tank which means less area for oxygen absorption. You can probably safely house 4 of those little gems in there along with some sort of small catfish (perhaps an Otocinclus) or two for clean-up duties.

Another fun fish that can deal with smaller areas is the Badis badis. They keep coming home with me from the LFS, apparently I am the only one that likes them :D

The only problem with Badis is that I can never seem to find them when I have a tank available for them! There are still a couple of really pretty Badis assamensis at my favorite LFS but my tanks are full to the brim at this point! I think my wife would murdalize me if I brought home another aquarium now. We're going to have our floors completely re-done in the near future and after that I get my big aquarium. Of course...it is going to be devoted to Polypterus and other African river fish but that will free up a couple of 10 gallon tanks.....hmmmmm!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread with my ramblings. White Clouds are great fish!!!

I agree about white clouds - they were my first fish to spawn, and will always hold a spot in my heart and in my community tanks. I kept 3 in a 5gal once with a betta and they seemed to do fine, and actually that was the tank they spawned in. I still have several generations of them.

I am very interested in the badis as well, especially since you have posted about them, Menagerie, and though my favorite LFS always has a label on a tank listing them, I can never seem to be there when they have any left!

You could probably keep Endler's livebearers in a 5gal hex, but maybe just 4-5 males or a trio of one male and two females (and babies :wink: ).

Back
Top Bottom