We lost a Pygmy catfish :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tonight after feeding the fish, I did my daily attempt (I say attempt because sometimes I can't find them all, they're fast) at counting the 7 catfish... And I found #7. On his/her side. Clearly dead :(. I scooped him out and put her in a small plastic container and in the fridge. I plan to bury the fish tomorrow. I hope the ground isn't too cold yet.

Before putting him in the fridge, I inspected him. The eyes were gone and the tail was mostly missing. Some of the black stripe down the side/middle was faded.

I only hope the fish was nibbled on after death. I don't think the fish was attacked. Didn't look sick. The fish was one of the "runts", a little smaller than most of the rest.

Water was last changed 2weeks ago and tonight the readings were:
Ammonia -0-
Nitrite -0-
Nitrate 10-20ppm

We did a 50% water change after testing. Rearranged some plants and added a new toy we got a week ago. Definitely going to wait no longer than 9 days between changes. I don't think it was the water anyway. I have no idea why we lost this little fish :(

RIP sweet little fish :(. I'm sorry you died but I'm glad we gave you a good home for the last month and 5 days.

If he was smaller to begin with, I am guessing it was just stock. It is quite common to lose a couple fish in a new batch. Your water is fine and your tank is fine. Sometimes it just happens. I am sorry though.

If he was smaller to begin with, I am guessing it was just stock. It is quite common to lose a couple fish in a new batch. Your water is fine and your tank is fine. Sometimes it just happens. I am sorry though.

I've lost a whole batch of 5 new pygmy one after the other, bad stock.. have had my original 5 for almost a year! I've found some fish are just doomed from the get go. Who knows what kind of torment they were subjected to prior to arriving in my awesome tanks;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed with above suggestions that it was just bad stock. This is the sad aspect of fishkeeping... Deaths are an inevitable part of the experience. As long as you do everything you can to ensure they're not your fault, that's all anyone can ask.

I bought 3 false julli catfish about 2 and a half weeks ago and one was dead in the morning and another died within the week. The last one is fine so far but I am going to wait for a couple of weeks before I get 2 more so he will have a buddy. It is only a 10 gal so that will have to be enough. I agree that it was just bad stock maybe already stressed out and not your fault. Fortunatley where I bought them from they have a 30 day money back garrantee so I was able to get the money back. Alison:fish2:

We were, and are, quite sad, but, I thought maybe it just happened like you said :(

Thank you. :) I didn't get a chance to bury him today, so I need to tomorrow.

I've lost a whole batch of 5 new pygmy one after the other, bad stock.. have had my original 5 for almost a year! I've found some fish are just doomed from the get go. Who knows what kind of torment they were subjected to prior to arriving in my awesome tanks;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sorry. I'm glad that you've had your current ones a good while though! That's awesome! I hope to have the remaining pygmys for quite some time. They're so cute and fun to watch (when they come out front anyway).

Agreed with above suggestions that it was just bad stock. This is the sad aspect of fishkeeping... Deaths are an inevitable part of the experience.

That's true, and you're right.

As long as you do everything you can to ensure they're not your fault, that's all anyone can ask.

Yes. :) We made sure the tank was cycled and good, and we did wait a bit too long for a water change, but the water was fine (and we had checked it 6 days prior too). Things happen that aren't always preventable. :(

I bought 3 false julli catfish about 2 and a half weeks ago and one was dead in the morning and another died within the week. The last one is fine so far but I am going to wait for a couple of weeks before I get 2 more so he will have a buddy. It is only a 10 gal so that will have to be enough. I agree that it was just bad stock maybe already stressed out and not your fault. Fortunatley where I bought them from they have a 30 day money back garrantee so I was able to get the money back. Alison:fish2:

I'm sorry you lost a couple fish. I hope this one makes it and you can get a couple healthy buddies for him/her :)

The fish made it a good while though :)

Our fish store has a 3 day policy.... and the fish guy said that if something is wrong it usually happens within 3 days. I am betting he said that because that is how long their policy is. I think 3 days is a bit short, especially if it is a bigger/more expensive/rarer fish that you lose. I don't care about the money, he was only $3 (not that that matters to me either, a little life was lost and that's sad :( )

In any event, I'm sad more than anything. I hope the other 6 will make it and be with us for a long while! :) I love watching them pigpile/play/etc. :)

Back
Top Bottom