weening and betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boothbrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do you ween a betta fish. Simply starve him to death till he eats what you want him to?

Right now he wants only the frozen brine shrimp but I heard that will cause bloating.

Also the tank is the popular minibow 2.5 gallon. Should I upgrade to the 5 gallon cause down the road I'd like to -add tank mates, breed bettas, add plant life. Or is all of this fine for 2.5 gallon ?

Right now he's happy with the 2.5 gallon and made his first bubble nest !

Thanks in advance ! :D

Bettas can survive for a long time without eating. So if you want to feed him something else then I would suggest stopping the frozen brine shrimp. Eventually he will eat, but in my experience Bettas can be picky. I never got mine to like flakes or betta pellets. He pretty much eats freeze dired blood worms.

The 2.5 is perfect for a single betta but if you want tank mates you will need a bigger tank. It all depends on what you want to add. A 5 gallon still won't be able to hold many tank mates. A 10 gallon would be much better. You will just have to figure out who or what you want to add. The smaller the tank the more limited you are. Keep the 2.5 for when you want to breed or for a quarantine tank when you get new fish.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm seaching through the forums on bettas and there's a lot out there.

The water is a little cloudy though. The tank has a filter but do you think it's okay to add those "solution droplets?" to clear the water?

thanks

p.s. do you think I can add a ghost shrimp to this tank. Will the betta be happy and continue to build his bubble nest ?

Ghost shrimp will be fine. He might be mad at first but will soon not notice. I keep a big Ram's Horn Snail with my Betta. But in a 5 gallon he doesn't even notice.

I wouldn't add the clearing drops. It will just take a bit of time for the particles to settle out. It will clear up on its own. A water change wouldn't hurt after a few days as well.

If you don't have any plants in this tank yet I would at least add some silk plants. Bettas love plants and will often be found resting on the leaves. Very cute.

Back
Top Bottom