Weird Ammonia Reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i'm doing the fishless cycle and I purchased some household clear ammonia with no fragerance or anything. I added just a little bit maybe the equivelant of 6-8 drops into a 30 gallon rectangular tank and I have a freshwater master API test kit and my ammonia reading when i test it is simply clear. Doesn't even remotely have a hint of color to it. I even tried adding just some ammonia to the test tube with 5ml of tap water and some ammonia and its still clear. I've also added Bio-Spira and i'm still not reading any nitrite spike. or Nitrates. I have no idea what happened. The lfs I bought from keeps all there bio-spira refrigerated and I put it right in the fridge when I got home.

I have a penguin bio wheel 200 power filter and I removed the carbon filter cartridge I have no UV sterilzer and the water has been treated.

Yeah I understand that but it seems like about everything else works. The nitrite and nitrate and ph tests do.

It could have been a bad batch of Ammonia solution. You used both solutions, right? If so, get a new Ammonia kit.

how can you be sure if you don't do a baseline test? Unless you're using ro/di water, you should probably be seeing some level of nitrate just due to whats in your tapwater. IMO better safe than sorry.. take your kit, go to the lfs. have them test, then u test and compare.. for each

I have the kit. The API master freshwater testing kit or something of the sorts. But basically it says the baseline color which is 0 ppm should be yellow. Well when I put the solution in all I get is clear.

I would suspect a bad kit .... you should get the yellow if you test just plain water .... if not, get a new ammonia refill (or a refund/exchange).

Yeah I think that's what i'm gonna end up doing. Thanks for the help.

Agreed, and the 30 second and 1 minute mixing instructions are important to. IIRC, the first solution is clear, second is yellow. It sounds to me like you're not using the second solution as directed.

The API kit needs to use both solutions. I see that you edited your thread and I'm assuming that you were only using one solution but have tried it using both. Did it work the second time? You need to add the number of drops from both solutions, shake, and let sit for a few minutes. If it doesn't turn yellow, you need a new test kit.

No I knew it used both. I took it in yesterday and they tried it and gave me a new kit.

Back
Top Bottom