Weird Hairs Growing in Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tschweiner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In the last week I have noticed long, straight hairs growing out of the gravel in my 1 year old freshwater tank. They have been growing throughout the gravel, but more prominent near the live plant. They are not roots to the plant as 1) they are single hairs, sometimes clumped together and 2) are too thin. I have tried looking this up, but nothing seems to match the description of these hairs. I don't think these are Nematodes or Worms. They seem to be too long, too straight, and not moving. Maybe a form of algae? I have two glofish (not goldfish) in a 3 gallon tank. They have been dying lately so I'm waiting to get more in a bigger tank. My current fish seem to have developed Velvet and I am treating them with Maracide and adding salt to the tank. However, they appeared before I added those things. I have done a 50% water change. I have tried adding some algaefix to see if that would help, but it doesn't seem to be getting rid of the hairs. Since they are not natural to this tank I have pulled them out. I have one live plant, and have been holding back on the plant food until I know what these things are. My water parameters are the following:

Temp: 80 F
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 0
Hardness: Hard-120
Alkalinity: Moderate-80
pH: 7.2

To give you an image of what these look like I have attached the images.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. Any answers as to what they are, are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• GetAttachment 2.jpg
    GetAttachment 2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 131
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 96
Can you post a close up of them in the tank? What plants are they growing by? Often plants actually do throw out these tiny white hair like roots quite a ways away from the plant because they are trying to find nutrients. If you have them around crypts, swords, or other bulb plants those plants need root tabs. Also what plants are in your tank and what type of ferts are you using?

Back
Top Bottom