weird nitrate reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platycrazy19

Aquarium Advice Activist
I change and test my water once a week. usually I would get a reading of 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. But lately I have been getting a reading of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. Lately I have been having to leave my tank on the weekends and so I have been doing large water changes before I leave and my fish are not getting fed while i'm gone. I thought this might reduce the amount of nitrate that I get but I still find it odd that i'm testing zero for nitrate.
Any thoughts on this?

1) Have you added live plants? Live plants absorb ammonia, nitrite and nitrate out of the tank water as the plants grow.

2) Are you sure you are doing the liquid nitrate test correctly exactly following the directions? People have found it helpfull to bang bottle #2 on a table a few times and then shake the bottle vigorously a while.

yeah I have quite a few live plants in my tank and I make sure to shake the nitrate bottles well. though I have not tried banging them on the table first.

i don't think my test kit is expired but I will have to double check and i will try banging the bottle on the table to see if that helps thanks for the help

Is it slightly orange at all?

I have a Goldie in a 25 he is only 1 inch. I do 25% pwc's every week and my reading is always below 5. But it almost looks zero. I have to hold it up to the white card under good light to see the orange.

Yea try the "bang and shake" method.

Also make sure you are in a well lot area when reading the results to make sure you aren't mistaken.

The colours aren't always easy to tell apart IME.

Tried banging it and shaking it really good, still zero. I just added a rather large piece of driftwood not to long ago could that have affected it at all?

Back
Top Bottom