Weird Spots in Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sutoraberi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have these strange, beige spots on the sealant of my aquarium. I got a new tank and I've had it running for about a month or so now, and all it has in it is a betta (I would have liked to cycle it first, but he had nowhere to go while I did that) and live plants. Last week, he got ich, was treated, and is now fine. After the treatment period was over (about four days), I did a pretty massive rearranging (he was moved to a cup for his safety while I did this), adding a bit of sand from an old tank to make the substrate deeper, as well as petrified wood (that I soaked in boiling brine twice, and I tested it for alkalinity as well). The sand had been dried out for over a year and I rinsed it in hot water, then cooler water before I added it. The tank stays a pretty stable 78 degrees, and I'm not entirely sure about the water parameters, sadly; I have yet to buy a master kit (I know, I know - that's really bad). I'm not sure what the stuff is... It wipes off relatively easily and then proceeds to float around in the water, looking all kinds of yucky. Could it be some sort of fungus? They almost look like eggs, but I haven't seen a snail and I don't know of any that lay eggs in such a manner (the stuff is also flat on the side attached to the sealant). It really doesn't look like algae whatsoever, but maybe I'm wrong. Help?

Sorry that the pictures are sideways; I don't know how to get it to quit doing that. I also apologize for the poor quality... I can't upload the actual sized pictures because the file is too big.

Attachments

• yucky stuff 4.JPG
    yucky stuff 4.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 78
  • yucky stuff 5.JPG
    yucky stuff 5.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 62
  • yucky stuff 6.JPG
    yucky stuff 6.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 61
Can't really see from the pictures, but this sounds like it might be diatoms. It's brownish, a bit slimy, and makes a film over things? It's very common in a new aquarium, and not something to worry about unless it totally takes over. You can wipe it away and it should reduce by itself soon.

Diatoms are not algae, but apparently little single celled organisms that live in the silicates in the water, common in new tank setups.

Back
Top Bottom