Well... cycle is done...now If I could only defeat the algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deliverme314

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am on day one of a blackout. How many days to kill algae and not harm my plants do you guys suggest? And any other algae killing advice?

What kind of algae problems are you having? I defeated string and hair algae with 3 SAE. Took care of it within a few days. You can "blackout" your tank for about a week with no heavy effects on the plants or fish.

The only kind of algae you will probably never be able to defeat is spot algae that occurs on the glass. This comes with the territory of owning a planted aquaria. Have to use good o'le elbow grease to remove it...

Biggen, will MTS snails also help?

I have never been a firm believer in snails. Yes, MTS are beneficial snails in that it will help aerate the substrate and perhaps remove some spot algae off the glass. However, I think you would have to have a ton (thousands and thousands) in order for them to be effective at a rate of cleaning the glass entirely.

If I were wanting to get an animal that would keep the glass clean, I'd go with a pleco before I went with a snail.

I still think the easiest way to deal with spot algae is to simply scrap it off. I do it once a week to my 40 gallon tall. As long as I do it weekly, the tank looks fine and the algae removes fairly easily from the acrylic.

Hey guys,
thanks for the replies. I am going to do a four day black out.. so tomorrow and friday and turn the lights on Saturday morning. I have been scraping but its back thick with in two days. So hoepfully this will get it controlled to the point where my plants can out compete them. We shall see... whats a good way to lower nitrates or phosphates... havent tested either in a a while... last I did my nitrates were at 20'ish and my phosphates were real high at I think 2.0-2.5.

Thanks

Except for the spot algae mentioned above, I have found that my ottos and pl*co will eat anything that grows in my tank and isn't water born. For the water born algae, which gives you the dreaded "Green Water," I had to buy a diatom filter which was a bit pricey but worked miracles! I never had the patience for the whole black out thing, but I'd love to hear how yours turns out.

Good luck.

The best way to reduce nitriates is water changes! I have controlled algae doing tiny (10%) water changes every day or every other day. Balance is the key here, with the nutrients balanced to control algae. That is really the best way to fight it. I would avoid algae removing products. You might want to check your municipal water supply for phosphates, that was the source of my trouble in the past. If you have a planted tank you should stop the ferts for a while in conjunction with the water changes and then start them back slowly, to see the critical point when things turn to algae. Depending upon the size of your tank and whether your bioload can handle it a pleco is a great way to go, but the crux of the matter is excess nutrients. Control them and you control algae. I may be as simple as overfeeding and too few water changes. I ramble. As usual. :oops:

One word...ottos

I had the same problem you are having except my algae problem was brown popping up every 2-3 days after a good cleaning...

Water changes didn't do any good, and neither did lighting or heat changes.

What did work was 5 little Ottocinclus Catfish...these guys don't look like much but do they have an appetite...They basically cleaned all my plants and glass within 2-3 days...

Algae problem solved..now I just hope the algae keeps producing at a rate to feed the ottos :)

I'm always amused at how most of us (me included!) buy algae eating fish to take care of algae in the tank. They eat it all, then we wind up having to BUY algae to feed them LOL

Unfortunantley otto's I dont think are an option because I own two snake fish...

But after a three day black out I am almost completley algaeless! Yeahhhhh!

Back
Top Bottom