Well-established water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alisha,

Remember the plant that I asked you about? The ludwigia ovalis with roots growing on stems. I trimmed the roots on stems and they all grew back in less than a week. Is that a good thing or bad?

Is it only the unseasoned driftwood that lowers the ph and softens the water? Or there are more? I don't want to use chemicals.

Running peat moss in your filter *can* lower Ph. However, I've never tried it. I have tried a really large piece of driftwood...it actually lowered my alkalinity and Ph down to drastically to the point it was starting to worry me, so I took it out and replaced it with a some what smaller piece and now my Ph in that tank is around 7- 7.2 I've heard that it can be hit or miss though...sometimes wood will lower your Ph and sometimes it doesn't really make a difference.

Coleallensmom said:
Running peat moss in your filter *can* lower Ph. However, I've never tried it. I have tried a really large piece of driftwood...it actually lowered my alkalinity and Ph down to drastically to the point it was starting to worry me, so I took it out and replaced it with a some what smaller piece and now my Ph in that tank is around 7- 7.2 I've heard that it can be hit or miss though...sometimes wood will lower your Ph and sometimes it doesn't really make a difference.

How long did it take for your pH to drop? I was hoping mine will drop at least just by 1.0. Is it going to stay there if ever it drops? And will pwc change the ph? Ph swing is bad, right? I'll check on the peat moss.

I just searched it online. Beautiful fish. Do you think I can have that one instead of the pearl?

The Blue gourami, Gold gourami, Platinum gourami, and Opaline gourami are all color morphs of the Three-spot Gourami.

I'd think that they'd be compatible. It seems like gouramis do fine with just about anything except other gouramis. On the off chance that a more agressive gourami might decide to chase baby angels, I would probably get the angels first and then introduce a female gourami that is a comparable size to the angels. Being raised together as juveniles would hopefully squash any bullying tendencies between the two types of fish.

How long did it take for your pH to drop? I was hoping mine will drop at least just by 1.0. Is it going to stay there if ever it drops? And will pwc change the ph? Ph swing is bad, right? I'll check on the peat moss.

It won't drop your PH over night. Mine slowly lowered over a period of a couple weeks and then has stayed steady ever since.

Coleallensmom said:
It won't drop your PH over night. Mine slowly lowered over a period of a couple weeks and then has stayed steady ever since.

Ok. I haven't checked my pH since adding the 2 driftwoods. I hope it lowers to where I can add blue rams :D

Alisha,

Remember the plant that I asked you about? The ludwigia ovalis with roots growing on stems. I trimmed the roots on stems and they all grew back in less than a week. Is that a good thing or bad?

It's not necessarily bad...Some stem plants will do that. It *can*mean that the plant isn't getting enough nutrients through it's roots though. You might try getting some root tabs. I use these: Seachem. Flourish Tabs

Coleallensmom said:
The Blue gourami, Gold gourami, Platinum gourami, and Opaline gourami are all color morphs of the Three-spot Gourami.

I'd think that they'd be compatible. It seems like gouramis do fine with just about anything except other gouramis. On the off chance that a more agressive gourami might decide to chase baby angels, I would probably get the angels first and then introduce a female gourami that is a comparable size to the angels. Being raised together as juveniles would hopefully squash any bullying tendencies between the two types of fish.

I will go to my LFS and see which gourami I like better. If I like the blue gourami, I'll buy the angels first. With pearls, is it ok to introduce them before the angels?

Coleallensmom said:
It's not necessarily bad...Some stem plants will do that. It *can*mean that the plant isn't getting enough nutrients through it's roots though. You might try getting some root tabs. I use these: Seachem. Flourish Tabs

I have those under all my plants. Plus, I also have flourish Fe, K, excel, seachem flourish and I just bought P today. I'm having problems with my anubias though, they are turning brown. They were on the substrate. Now I put them on the driftwood and rocks. Do you think it's too much light? 2-6700k(65w each bulb, all bulbs are 65w) for 4 hours then turn the other 2(10,000K, total of 4 bulbs on) for 4 hours then turn it off leaving the 2-6700k for 2 hours. Total 10 hours a day.

Does the plant have a good root system yet? My Rotala stopped throwing those shoots out once it's roots in the substrate started growing well.

I will go to my LFS and see which gourami I like better. If I like the blue gourami, I'll buy the angels first. With pearls, is it ok to introduce them before the angels?

I just suggested getting the angels first because if you get a gourami that is pushy, it might help to introduce her last rather then first. Just my take on the situtation though. It really all depends on the personality of the fish.

Coleallensmom said:
I just suggested getting the angels first because if you get a gourami that is pushy, it might help to introduce her last rather then first. Just my take on the situtation though. It really all depends on the personality of the fish.

Angels first then. Can I introduce the rest of the black skirts first?

About the roots, I'm not sure. New leaves are sprouting and growing almost an inch a day. I have this plant(unknown stem) that I planted without roots and when I moved it to the back and pulled it out of the substrate the roots are 3" long.

Back
Top Bottom