Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2004, 05:03 PM   #1

well fed fish....fact or fiction

is it true a well fed fish will have a dark stripe across their eye...up and down...this is only with certain species but some say its true and some say no...i know from fishing that i can sometimes see a stripe and sometimes not...my friend has discus and the 2 he says are the most vorasious eaters have the stripe and the twirp has no strip....seems logical...is it true
Old 04-28-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope, it isn't true at all. Discus now have so many strains. Some like melons and blue diamonds are bred to be solid colors. No stress bars (stripes), at all. Generally, but not always, discus that show their stress bars are stressed.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #3

well not just in discus but ok
Old 04-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL, OK . I don't know about being well fed but fish that are eating are usually pretty happy it. I guess fish show how they're feeling by their appearance. It would vary from species to species but a happy fish would have erect fins, and tend to exhibit it's natural colors boldly. . Does that help?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Brian on that one. I "happy" mature fish will display full colors--if there's a stripe there, you will see it clearer.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com