well water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterashley

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I dontyet have a test kit but we have well water out here in the swamplands and i know for a fact it is high in iron. Does anyone have input if there is anything else in this kind of water that may harm my fish? Is the high iron count bad for them?

It can be deadly if its high enough though a good water conditioner like prime will remove any heavy metals in your water though and make it safe , as for other things I'm not sure, only thing that comes to mind is ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates, as well as copper if plan to ever keep inverts

I also have well water, although we do have a water softener. I have same problem you do with iron, it's crazy how much we have in our water. I have never had a problem. I have always treated my water though when putting large amounts in. There are times when I don't treat and have never had a problem.

I would suggest getting a test kit for sure though to make sure everything is good to go.

I dontyet have a test kit but we have well water out here in the swamplands and i know for a fact it is high in iron. Does anyone have input if there is anything else in this kind of water that may harm my fish? Is the high iron count bad for them?

I have well water too, but have only had a problem when I did a large water change. I have a 36 gal tank and did a 1/3 of the water change and my PH spiked up to over 8.6. I lost about 8 fish. I added about a cup of playground sand and now my PH is around 7.5 and remaining stable. I think I'll be fine as long as there aren't a bunch of fluctuations. I use a drop of water conditioner to a gal of water, but my LFS told me that since my numbers are good, to only do a couple of gal at a time when doing PWC.

Back
Top Bottom