Well water, with sulpher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone had any experience with their well water that has a high sulpher and iron content? The trips to the store to get bottled water are wearing thin and I'm wondering if there is something I can add to my well water that will make it suitable to use in the tank, or if I'm doomed to $10 per PWC for store bought water.

I don't know if this would work, maybe others have some experience with it. How about making the tank well planted? Not sure how fast plants would use those nutrients.

Honestly,

I'd ask a neighbor or a close friend who is not on your same water if you can fill up at their place. Even a garden hose outside that you could use once a week for a couple gallons. The neighbor/friend shouldn't care, and it won't cost you near as much time or money than your using right now.

Are you drinking the well water?

It's drinkable if we run a gallon out and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, but I won't run it through my coffee maker.

Well, the sulfur will leave the water, but that iron is still in there. Funny though, sulfur products are used in dechlor products such as Prime, as it converts chlorine into a harmless byproduct.

thio-Sulfate ions dechlorinate water, S2O3 --, I am not sure what state sulfer has in ground water. The other dechlorinators have an " S03-" end to them for the same reaction.

What about a de-ionizer or reverse osmosis set up? Are you sure your water is bad for fish? Wish I knew something about iron, sulfer and fish, but I don't. You say sulfer leaves the water? Then I would think that aeration would speed that up, so that you can make water ready by putting it in a holding tank (aka clean plastic garbage can) and run an airstone in it overnight. Might as well toss a spare heater in there too, to make it tank temp. But I would think only a de-ionizer or reverse osmosis would remove iron. What about those dechlorinators/conditioners that claim to remove heavy metals?

My well water is the same way and I haven't had any problem with using it for water changes the way it is. We drink it too and run it in the coffee maker. The only thing I've noticed is that my tank's colour is slightly yellowish, probably not noticable to anyone other than me.

Back
Top Bottom