West African River Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I haven't been on here in a while. I'm looking for advice for putting together a West African river aquarium (Congo type). I'll be converting my 65 tank over from an Amazon tank; new plants such as Anubias, Bolbitis, Crinum species. I'll keep the wood and most, most of the rock work. The pH of our water supply is consistent at 7.5(ish).

I'm thinking about butterfly cichlids (Anomalochromis), butterfly fish (Pantodon buchholtzi), Congo tetras (Phenacogrammus interruptus), and upside down catfish (Synodontis nigriventris).

I wondering what experiences anyone has had keeping an African tank of this type. How do these species handle that pH? Are there other species I should perhaps be looking at. I know about Pelvicachromis, and Hemichromis species, but again, wonder about their pH tolerances. I'm not wanting to do any more than one cichlid species.

Thanks.

Doesn’t look like you got any responses on this post, so I’ll give it a try. There’s a lot of research you’ll need to answer that question. You’ll have to find the type of fish that is native to this type of environment. Then you’ll need to figure out what the filtration needs will be. Read, read then read some more. Lay us know which way you go so we can help with various challenges you’ll encounter…….

Back
Top Bottom