What about Slugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know that some fish are very fond of eating snails, but is it ok to feed them slugs? My new house is more in the country and as I was walking the backyard a few nights ago I couldn't believe all of the slugs I counted! I don't know if I'd personally be able to offer a slug for food - I'm a rediculous sap when it comes to this stuff and I'd feel sorry for it :roll: - So this is moreso a curiousity thing.

Great question. I didn't know and was curious, so did a quick google search. I found a great page on slugs! It was quite an interesting read overall.

"Many things eat slugs. Many birds, fish, and small mammals would love a slimey slug feast. They are one of the favorite foods of gartersnakes."

Says this website: http://velvetdragon.com/cyberslugs/realslugs.html

Give the whole page a read, very neat. :)

one thing about live foods:

you can never be sure you might introduce a disease into the tank and possibly kill ALL your fish.

i for one NEVER use live food, other than stuff bred myself. why take the risk when there are many freeze dried, frozen, etc, substitutes that are just as nutritious?

A friend of mine tried feeding a slug to his oscar. The oscar spit it out, and looked mad at him for feeding that. Come to find out, the slug puts out a chemical that numbs their tongue and jaw. Was quite interesting.

Thanks Devilishturtles - I did go and read that article and it was very interesting. I don't think I'd be able to get as close to them as the person who wrote that up, but it did make for an intresting read! :)

chotie - I wasn't going to feed my fish anything live, it was just a curious question that I had. I know fish can eat worms and snails so I wondered about slugs. I don't know that a lot of people feed their fish live foods with no problems. I'd probably give it a try if it wasn't for my guilty conscience (I'd feel bad for the prey). :lol: :oops:

Lonewolfblue said:
A friend of mine tried feeding a slug to his oscar. The oscar spit it out, and looked mad at him for feeding that. Come to find out, the slug puts out a chemical that numbs their tongue and jaw. Was quite interesting.
Hmmmm... so I guess even if I wanted to attempt it, it probably wouldn't go over very well.

Lonewolfblue - that is very funny, I can just see that Oscar staring down your friend all numbed up and drooling like he just got out of the dentist. I can imagine his little brain spitting out "What the-a... whaa-y.... what di-th I do-th toa oou"

Back
Top Bottom