What about when water is too warm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcsport

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small 6 gal tank with an all in one hood. The water temp is right around 85 with no heater and good circulation. My house temp is always 76. I have 5 neons and a small peco who will be moved whe he gets bigger. They all seem very active and eat really good. Should I be woried about the temp?

Some may say thats to high.

Honestly, i don't really know. The only bit of in-sight I have is that my brothers 55-gallon runs at 84f, about to hit the 6year mark too. The only way I've seen him loose fish is either due to old age or a genetic deficiency.

I don't think it's TOO bad, but for optimal health and length of life, the temp really should be reduced. Can you purchase a fan to put next to the tank? Or maybe turn the AC on just in the room that the tank is in?

What kind of tank is it? Did it come with an incandescent bulb? I have found in the past that the incandescent bulbs get way too hot and will in turn heat up the tank water to unacceptable temps. This happened with my first 10 gallon setup. I replaced the bulbs with 10 watt screw-in compact flourescents and haven't had any problems. I did the same for my 5 gallon Eclipse tank and the heater keeps the temp steady at 78F.

Its an Eclipse System Six and has a flourescent bulb. I can try placing a fan behind it and see it that helps. It is located in my livingroom (fairly large) and is the coolest room in the house. thanks for all the ideas and help!

As long as the temp has only changed slowly, the fish will not mind much. It's what we do when we treat for ick, right? I would say if my fish can handle 91 degrees for 3-4 weeks, then 85 is no problem. Just remember, there's less O2 in the water at higher temps, so you might want to add an airstone or something if your fish start acting differently and going to the surface. And good circulation is a plus.

Back
Top Bottom