What am I ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Actually I have three fish I would like ID'd. I have een having trouble post pic to the forum so I put them in my gallery. Please look and hazard a guess please. Thanks everyone. :D

I'm not sure exactly which fish I am looking at. If it's the yellow ones, then a Yellow Lab Cichlid. The gray one with splotching, mixed breed?

Fishyfanatic The yellows I got.
enlarge the pics I have the fish numbered
#1 is long green and silver with a horizontal black stripe.
#2 is silver with black spots
#3 is silver with thin black vertical stripes

#1 I have labeled as a red empress in my sig (but that is just a guess). :?
#3 was sold to me as a C. Moorii (but Iknow that was a lie). :x

Fish #1 is definitely not a Red Empress, and not even an Aulonocara sp. That looks like a formosa hap.

Fish #3 is almost definitely a female Aulonocara, and that could even be a female Red Empress, but I can't tell for sure.

Fish #2 could be a N. livingstoni, as they are commonly seen in the "mixed African" tanks at the LFS, but I am not sure if that is what it is or not - it does not seem to have enough spots.

I think I figured out what #1 is possibly Champsochromis caeruleus.
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/panis/champsochromis_caeruleus.htm

If its this one I'll have to get rid of him soon, my tank is just not big enough. I wish the lfs guy would have told me how big a tank this thing needs. I guess he was just trying to make a sale. :( I wont be bying fish on the spur of the moment any more.

TG- I think you got #3 right. I hope it gets some color so I can figure out which one.
#2 is silver with black spots, maybe its a bad picture. Livingstoni usually have brown spots. and many more of them.

What do you think of this photo? (borrowed from Malawicichlids.com)
formosus.jpg

Very similar to #1, unless the picture is not showing the fish as it looks in the tank. Champsochromis caeruleus are usually blue-ish, and I don't see that in the pic. A juvie of course could have a different appearance. Quite a quandary!

There is an article at Cichlid-Forum.com about Mixed African Cichlids and, I quote, "Are you feeling lucky?" :lol: You just don't know what you are getting, and there is always the issue of hybrids, so it makes it tricky. This #1 fish has me curious, though, so keep us posted!

TG #1 had to go. Once I started looking at him I noticed how powerful his jaw looked. He is definately an open water hunter. I don't want no hunting in my tank. Traded him to my LFS along with the alonacara and 3 Labs for 5 P. acei. Very pretty fish. #2 is still hangin around though and we haven't figured him out yet.

Back
Top Bottom