What am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicpen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I have a 3ft tank which I have recently set up. I have 2 gouramis, 1 bronze catfish and 3 scissortails (I think that is their name). I have a Fluval filter and no live plants. I have been reading a few of the posts and think that I need to test the nitrates?! I was told by the aquarium store that it wasn't that necessary for me to test for nitrates. My ammonia and nitrites levels were on the lowest part of the scale of my test kit. My problem is that the water has taken on a slight cloudy and slight green tinge - what is going on? What do I need to do? Any help would be awesome.

A nitrate kits is imporant to have as well as the others. If you keep up on water changes, nitrate levels shouldn't be a problem, but a test kit is still beneficial to have since having high nitrate levels can effect different things with your fish.

Just a simple question to start... when you added your substrate in ( gravel, etc. ) did you wash it really good? Also, when was your last water change? And was your tank cycled before you put in fish? It doesn't sound like it was, from what you said, but that's important to know too. You could be having a bacterial bloom in your tank, which is fairly common for newly set up aquariums. So, answer some of these questions, and possibly we can help you more!

[center:59d9a55e15] Welcome to AA, nicpen!! :n00b:[/center:59d9a55e15]
Water changes are going to be very important! If the water is on the green side, it could be an algae bloom, which could occur if there is a high level of nitrates (plant fertilizer).

Oh how silly can I be... I left out an important bit - my filter ended up being faulty so the aquarium was without filter for about 5 days. I was in the process of cycling my tank when this happened to my filter. The tank has been set up for about 5 weeks. The filter thing happened about 2 weeks ago and the water just hasnt been clear since then. So thats when the slight cloudy and now greenish tinge has occurred. I have done a few water changes which improves the green for a little while but what is going on??

Sorry I don't even know what I was thinking when I wrote that message earlier! Left out the vital info hehe. Thanks for the quick replies by the way.

Sound slike an algae bloom. Changing water is a temporary solution as some of the free floating algae will remain and quickly multiply.

One method of attack is to turn off all lights and cover you tank completely for 4-5 days. Total blackout is needed. Don't feed the fish and if you can stick a bunch of polyester batting into the filter. At the end of 5 days throw out the poly floss (batting) and do a big water change.

This could be caused by over feeding your fish. During rh cycle you should cut down on the feeding to every other day. The fish will survive just fine. Just don't look in those big brown puppy eyes. :wink:

I will also add..at the bottom of the scale...means what...?
which test kit brand is it ?

the readings to have for ammonia and nitrIte is...ZERO. Especially with so few fish in that size tank. so what is your run down..
and it has been 5 weks with an incident just before cycle would have settled in.....
**What size ? Just measure it and convert it here(.... I assume it is prolly a 29 to a 55 depending on height.)
***How often do you do your 20%'s?
*** Your 50%'s?
**** what are the ACTUAL readings..... these are all good to...both for us and for you :wink:
Alage blooms are usually not harmful..but the underlying cause might be...

Back
Top Bottom