What am I doing wrong.. zuchinni & cukes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've tried cukes and zuchinni but nothing will touch it. I've got 4 BN plex, 20 some corys, 5 otos, etc and it just sits there. The parrot likes to play with it by pushing it around the tank, but that's all *lol*

I peel it, nuke it for 10 -15 secs and the weigh it down.
Is there a special way to prepare it?

Thx,

Dave

If they don't like it cooked, try raw. Are you leaving the food in there all night?

If they don't take to it at all, try a diffrent vegtable and bring zuchinni back again later. They're like small children, they don't always like a food the first time it's presented.

Anything in the mellon family should work. Peas may work as well.

Do them raw, and leave for a couple days. I left mine in for 2 days before they started eating mine, and now they won't stop eating it. Even my bala shark and rainbow sharks love it.

ditto for me and raw zucchini. i slice an inch (or so) chunk and take one of those small thin trussing skewers (used for chicken or turkey), poke lots of holes in the slice and then poke the skewer through the slice, skin to skin. i shove one end of the skewer in the gravel to keep it from floating, and voila! my plecs love it and my saes go NUTS over it! it usually takes 1-2 days for the fishies to demolish 2 slices (i do 2 at a time cuz i have a lot of fishies).

try raw and give it another chance. :)

How I do mine is cut about 3/4 inch thick, cut off the rine about half way around, leaving half of it on, and make 4 or 5 slices into the side where you took the rine off, but not all the way to the rine on the other side, and poke a weight through the rine, and let it sink.

My pleco is even eating the green parts (skin) of the cucumber and zuchinni. He never used to, until recently.

I usually just slice a zucchini in half length wise. Then I scrape out most of the seeds otherwise they end up floating all over the tank. I leave the green skin on one side cause my otos suck on it. Then I just stick the zucchini in a veggie clip and the fish line up and fight over it. I also do frozen peas alot. I just microwave them for a few seconds so they are no longer frozen. Then I shell em and toss em in the tank. The fish go crazy for those as well and it's fun to watch them swim while trying to gulp down a pea that's bigger than their mouth.

Attachments

• bloodredparroteatingpeaforweb.jpg
    bloodredparroteatingpeaforweb.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 42
  • firemoutheatingpeaforweb_209.jpg
    firemoutheatingpeaforweb_209.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 48
  • boesemansrainbowfisheatingpeaforweb.copy.jpg
    boesemansrainbowfisheatingpeaforweb.copy.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 49
I got some peas today to try them out. The dojos are pushing them all over the place trying to eat them, lol. I heated them, shelled them, and broke them in half. The dojos seem to be extremely interested, hehehe.

my silver dollars love all types of lettuses and spinach too, just tryed cucumber but they wheren't to happywith it, waiting fo rthe lettuses. they love zuccnnii
i'm trying carrot but maybe i have to blanch it a bit, as they are not touching it.

Sometimes I put a bit of veggie sample in the tank, and walk away because I get no reaction. Next time I come by the tank, the sample is completely gone, and I have no idea who ate it!

I put more peas in today, and they are gone. The dojo's absolutely go crazy over them. The rainbow shark started in on them too. Hope the bala will do the same.

After hearing about this topic from you wonderful fish folk I gave it a try, I must say after hearing all this lip smacking thought it would be nice to send along a thanks from my tank :D

Not only did they like the zuc, peas, and lima beans, but also tried fresh pineapple and a little apple! They especially liked baked sweet potato! When that was deposited those 25 little clowns looked like a swarm of bumble bees on a fresh flower.

They are growing by leaps and bounds, will soon have to find new homes for more than half of them. Any suggestions? :mrgreen:

Wow, I'll definatly have to try feeding raw veggies again. I used to try it out for a couple hours and yank it out since they don't eat it. The wooden skewer is an awesome idea as well.
How long can raw cucumber stay in your tank before it starts polluting?
TIA :D

Back
Top Bottom