What am i going to do?? Any advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meya

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Guys,

I need advice on some fish selection. Prior to falling pregnant I had four tanks, one was african cichlids, one was guppies, one was tetras and the other was my BGK (black ghost knife) with mollies and clown loaches etc.

Well after having a baby, four tanks became one. I sold my guppies and all my tetras. I decided that my BGK and loaches were my faviourite. Now this is where you'll go IDIOT, but I mixed my african cichlids as well (it is a 5ft tank).

Well it was going well for a year with no agression towards BGK and loaches, but in the last month things started to get nasty. BGK got hurt, but I have nursed him back to health and all my cichlids have now been given away to new homes. (SOB).

But now I am trying to decide what to have with my BGK who is about 9 inches. I have two sailfin mollies and 5 loaches (3 inches). I would like some fish that are really colourful, community fish. And as I don't have any cichlids and not planning to, I am going to replant my tank.

I am not sure what fish to get, I would like some smaller fish, but obviously not to small. I am only looking at about another 4-5 fish. Any suggestions???? Thank-you :D

I like the idea of rainbows, boesemani's in particularly would make a nice display and you have room for them. They school and do best in groups. There are also Australian rainbows that might be readily available to you.

I'm loving the Boesemani Rainbow and the Celebes Rainbow. Well that was easy I have found my new fish. THANK YOU. I will have to call around, because I have never seen then in Brisbane.
One question and I might sound silly..... it says:
"Rainbowfish prefer to be in groups of six or more fish of the same species."

Is that the same species of rainbowfish (e.g all Boesemani) or the same species of fish (e.g get a mix of rainbowfish)

i would say get the same type of rainbow, but you might be able to get a mix though I am not sure if they will still school together.

I agree - get all of the same. I keep praecox and boesemani together and they stay separate for the most part.

Males chase each other quite a bit, so (unlike most recommendations for gender ratios) you ought to have several more males than females, so the chasing gets spread out among the males.

Thanks for the advice guys!! I went to my local fish store and then a few others around the area and they didn't stock them. So I will go for a bigger drive next weekend!!

if any of them are mom/pop shops you can ask to see the order list and then special order. That is what I have to do with plants at my LFS (and occaisionally fish as well). Just be prepared with the scientific name as well as the common just in case.

Back
Top Bottom