What are good with Danios?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich and Nikki

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I only have a small tank - 4 gallon. My three danios are all perfectly fine and the tank is currently cycling - water will be tested this weekend. I'm thinking that when the tank is cycled fully to increase the fish number to five or six. At the mo it's probably just going to be more danios - maybe the leopard type to be different. Ideally I'd like two platys but not sure about fin nipping.
I think three danios are great but worried about the lack of a shoal. Hoping to upgrade the tank size when we move from our apartment in a couple of years so I can get a better aquarium hahahaha!
Cheers for any advice,
PS not sure shrimp could stand the filter current and the ceramic media/ pebbles of a Biorb!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Danios

Hello R & N...

As you say, Danios are shoaling fish. The bare minimum number is 6. 8 or 10 is much better. These fish are very active and require a minimum of a 20 G tank and a lot of surface plants. They get a little stressed in small quarters.

I would move them to a larger tank soon. They'll be fine with other peaceful fish. I have my Rosey Danios in with some fancy Guppies.

B

For a 4 gallon, unfortunately only a betta or shrimp. Really not much can go in a tank that small. If you are interested in keeping the danios and are able to, bbradbury is correct. Its best to get at least a 20gallon for them (20g long preferred). If you are able to, you could have 6-8 danios as well as another school of tetras and/or Cory cats.

In that small of a tank, the danios really won't do well at all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom