What are the best online sites for canister media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franco7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Was wondering where are the best places online to buy canister media, and also just online fish sites with low prices? Also what media is good to buy for just everyday running of the filter to keep it clean, and to give me the bio, mech, and chem filteration. I know that in the fluval i have coarse foam pad, but they told me i should prob put a fine mech media at the bottom basket. I mean i know if i have high levels theres certain stuff to put in but ill cross that when the time comes. Im running the fluval 404, but i know i don't need to stay with just what fluval puts out, and theres so much media, how do you know whats good i guess is what im getting at, any insights on whats good to use?

Frank

http://www.bigalsonline.com is the best by far. You can save tons of $$$ with them.

Keep in mind that you can substitute other manufacturer's media so long as it fits. I wouldn't substitute the filter foam as I don't think there is anything similar on the market.

PS - How did you make out with the fluval problem?

i know about big als and i heard about drsfosterandsmiths.com aswell. Is there any other places i should know about?

Also i know i can use different media from different manufactors, but how do i know whats good and whats not i guess. Like how do you know what bio stuff works the best or what to look for, same with mechanical and other stuff. Do you know what size baskets we got in the fluval 404, you said as long as it fits? what sizes bags if media comes in a bag do you get?

Fuval probelm turned out ok, i was running a bouble walll along the back side of my tank and the intake tube was sucking up there from it and made the fluval loud cause off all the air and im guessing thats why it stopped pumping that night, but now everything is back to running good. Thanks for al you help too....

For the fine mechanical media just go to a wal-mart or craft store and buy polyseter fiberfill. I got a big bag at walmart for around $4.00 and it will last me well over a year with the 2 canisters I'm running. Just make sure that the polyfill IS NOT flame retardent.
For the bio filtration the bio-max rings that came with your filter are fine.
For chemical filtration (carbon) most people will tell you that its really not necessary. I haven't used carbon in years except once in my QT tank to remove meds. Both my tanks are planted which is another reason I don't use carbon as carbon will remove both beneficial and harmful stuff. Weekly PWC's are the best way to remove impurities.

Penpitt is correct...you can find mesh type bags as well.

The fluval does not come with the large Bio-Max "Pre-filter" ceramic rings (these are huge octoganal rings). They have advantages in that it's an extra layer of mechanical filtering that also serves as a bio filter as well. These would be placed in the lowest basket, replacing at least one of the charcoal baskets. The disadvantage is that they require cleaning along with the filter foam. You rinse these in tank water (to preserve beneficial bacteria that has colonized on them).

In regard to the online stores...here are a few more.

http://www.thatpetplace.com
http://www.petsolutions.com

There are also a number of online sponsors here at AA!

OK sooo either polyseter fiberfill, or bio-max pre-filter for mechanical and bio just bio max rings are good, are there any differences between the bio max with the hole in the middle compared to the boio max that looks like a rock with no hole in the middle?

So rinse with tank water that i took from like a pwc or something.

Also i notcied on big als and drfosterandsmith they have foam for fluval plus or something like that, when do i replace the foam tha comes with fluval that goes next to the baskets, you know that big screen with the foam inside, they say that is used for coarse mechnical stuff, where would i find replacements foam for that, do they sell it?

OK so what about media that comes in the pouches already, like if i was to order from someone else besides hagen, what size baskets do we have or what size pouches do we need to put in there?

Most places will sell mesh bags that you can put media in.Bigals sell some too but most LFS/LPS should carry them as well.Here is a link to the filter bags

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24587;category_id=2595

The size doesn't really matter. Just put enough media in there for the job. I prefer the wider,6" as opposed to 4" bags because it is easier to put in and take out.
What media are you wanting, assuming something other then carbon?

no just out of curiosty, like if i had to put some carbon in, i would want to put it in a pouch when the stuff runs out if i ever had too, or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom