What are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a small tank outdoors on a semi shaded patio that I use to grow out my plant cuttings. Something new has popped up I have not seen before. They are not snails. They almost look like a mussel? Any ideas on what they are?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468937514.653176.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468937534.504182.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They look like freshwater limpets. I have them in my tank. They do no harm to fish or plants but can be unsightly in large numbers. Over feeding the tank will cause a severe outbreak.
I use it as an early warning system. I freshen the water, clean out the filters to improve water circulation, feed more cautiously and the outbreak dies back to just a few.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That is so weird. This tank only has plants and never gets any food. But it hardly ever gets freshened and has no filtration. It hasn't had anything new put into for ages.

Last edited:
I have those in my tanks as well. I believe they feed on biofilm so unless the tank is sterile, they should find something to graze on.

I get them in my tank's, they seem to come and go. Mine appeared when I bought new plant's off someone.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

I peeled a few off the glass in my plant tank last night and the Denison Barbs thought they were tasty.

Back
Top Bottom