What are you maneuvering/cleaning tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are your maneuvering/cleaning tips?

I have the hardest time getting into the nooks and crannies to clean in my tank, and I really need to because I can see there is fuzzy stuff growing. There are areas where food has fallen into and it's getting moldy and I assume this isn't good for my tank.

What are your special tips for getting to hard-to-reach areas??

I have both a python and a handheld Eheim vacuum, but neither are particularly powerful to suck up things that haven't already been fluffed up or unearthed.

What are the ramifications of me not getting this stuff?

For the record, I'm thinking now that I must be overfeeding.

I just can't seem to get enough food down to my bottom dwellers, as the rasboras and rainbows are massive piggies and try to get everything up top, and then even go pick at the stuff that lands on the bottom!

The smaller diameter tube you use for siphoning, the more powerful it will suck water in. For hard to reach places with the siphon, you could try using airline tubing and just getting it down there with your hand.

Use a piece of rigid airline tubing to feed your bottomfeeders. Just put the tube on the gravel with the other end sticking out of the top of the water and put food down it. Aim it to where the bottom feeders are. Also, try feeding at night when your other fish can't see the food. Most bottomfeeders have an awesome sense of smell and can find the food that way.

You can pop the wide end of the syphon off and just use that. It makes some serious suction that way

This is what I do. I use the big syphon for the 65g, and then pull off the big plastic tube and use the soft small tubing to get in the small spots of the 20g. Super strong suction, I usually get some sand with the muck.

I take the wide, rigid piece off the end of my python and use just the hose to get in behind my driftwood and other tight spots. It does have significantly more suction so I have to be careful close to the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom