What Are Your Thoughts On Aquarium Backgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
We've been running just two bubble bars to create a "back wall" effect at the rear of our 60 gallon, but I'm wondering if that's the reason we were never able to achieve a real sense of "depth" as we didn't have a background taped or painted onto the back of the tank -- what are your thoughts on aquarium backgrounds? I don't want to go with painting the back glass at this point, so it would be a paper type of background, perhaps of a natural aquascape (rocks, plants, logs, etc.)...are these recommended to gain a sense of depth in the tank, or should I just leave the back wall be with the bubble bars cascading back there, even though you can see through to our wall the tank is on, as well as see the HOB filters and some of the electrical wires?

I can recall, when I kept tropicals many years ago as a hobby with my dad (I was a kid), we always went for those paper backgrounds -- but they would never sit right and I was always struggling with keeping scotch tape on them so they would stay...:banghead: :eek: :nono:

I went to a local sign shop and bought enough vinyl sheeting to cover the back of my tank for about $10 with a bunch left over.

Those types of decals are easy to set in place as long as you spray water on the surface you're adhering to with a tiny amount of dish washing liquid added (and precaution to not allow any mist to enter the water in your tank). You can move it around and adjust it to where you want it, and then squeegee out the air bubbles. I did this on a 37 gallon tall that had about 6 inches of room between the tank and the wall, so it was rough, but doable.

It's much better than bare, since it does hide the filters sans intake and cords as you mentioned. It also shows the fish off better in my opinion.

You can also use black out window tinting from home depot, same application process and same effect if you just want black, I like it on mine, but I like to keep things simple, I don't really care for the picture backgrounds, they seem a bit tacky to me.

I went to a local sign shop and bought enough vinyl sheeting to cover the back of my tank for about $10 with a bunch left over.

Those types of decals are easy to set in place as long as you spray water on the surface you're adhering to with a tiny amount of dish washing liquid added (and precaution to not allow any mist to enter the water in your tank). You can move it around and adjust it to where you want it, and then squeegee out the air bubbles. I did this on a 37 gallon tall that had about 6 inches of room between the tank and the wall, so it was rough, but doable.

It's much better than bare, since it does hide the filters sans intake and cords as you mentioned. It also shows the fish off better in my opinion.

Thanks Zev,

Well, being that my tank is kind of up against a wall (with room for the two HOB's in back) and already set up for a re-cycle (after a bacterial infection crash), it would be difficult to really do anything too fancy or elaborate back there; I love those 3D backgrounds, but I believe these attach to the inside of the tank, not the outside, and that just wouldn't be doable right now...it would have to be one of those paper, tape-on types and even that I'd have trouble adhering to the back glass because of the tank's setup...

The vinyl sheeting you bought was one-colored with no "design" or theme, so to speak? I am not sure I even want to go with a solid color for the background; I was thinking of an aquascape theme that would add some depth perception to the tank (sorely missing from my last "pirate shipwreck" setup in this 60 gallon) such as a scene of lush plants and rock caves, etc...

You can also use black out window tinting from home depot, same application process and same effect if you just want black, I like it on mine, but I like to keep things simple, I don't really care for the picture backgrounds, they seem a bit tacky to me.

Thanks, 'bug.

I am uncertain about black for our application; we're going for the natural aquascape look for this goldfish setup, with natural-colored gravel and some overtones of Asian themes, including Chinese "temple" decorations, bridges, Bonzai trees, etc...

Interesting about your perception regarding backgrounds with pictures -- I always thought they were kind of "cheesy" myself, and as I said, I toyed around with them many years ago when I kept tropicals as a kid...I can recall them always falling off...

Hmm, that certainly presents a challenge. I'd recommend just taping whatever you prefer back there, but pick up some Gorilla brand duct tape to keep it down. That stuff sticks like a magnet, but peels off with enough force and doesn't leave any more residue than regular duct tape. I use it in my training classroom here to keep cables down on the carpet so customers don't trip on them. It sticking to carpet is a testament in itself. I use it on my tank to keep my plastic bottle cuttings taped to my HOB's to slow the outflows, and I've taken it off and put it back on several times. You could just scrape any residue off with a razor if it left any down the road.

In this regard, you wouldn't use it like scotch tape and roll a piece to stick between the background and glass (which looks tacky regardless), but rather have the tape wrap around from the back of the background with just a sliver or enough to wrap around the edge of the aquarium. It can be done to look clean.

I've never been fully convinced of those aquarium backgrounds, but I have seen some cool ones. If I were to ever get one I think it would be the 3D type.

AquaTerra Naturalistic 3D Aquarium Backgrounds, Our Products

David

It's funny you posted this, David -- I JUST saw this site when I was doing some Googling; yeah, these are really wicked looking...but they adhere to the inside of the glass if I am not mistaken, which is impossible for us now, and requires special aquarium sealant glue of some kind, I think? ...

Yeah; perhaps this is something I would consider on our next setup -- seems too complicated to apply once the tank is filled with water and up and running (or near impossible to do so); so, you keep a "naked" background on your tank? Do you have any pics?

Hmm, that certainly presents a challenge. I'd recommend just taping whatever you prefer back there, but pick up some Gorilla brand duct tape to keep it down. That stuff sticks like a magnet, but peels off with enough force and doesn't leave any more residue than regular duct tape. I use it in my training classroom here to keep cables down on the carpet so customers don't trip on them. It sticking to carpet is a testament in itself. I use it on my tank to keep my plastic bottle cuttings taped to my HOB's to slow the outflows, and I've taken it off and put it back on several times. You could just scrape any residue off with a razor if it left any down the road.

In this regard, you wouldn't use it like scotch tape and roll a piece to stick between the background and glass (which looks tacky regardless), but rather have the tape wrap around from the back of the background with just a sliver or enough to wrap around the edge of the aquarium. It can be done to look clean.

Thanks...

For those of you who don't really care for the paper backgrounds, or aren't running a background on your personal tank(s), can you share some pictures of your setups if you have any so I can compare them to our setup, seemingly to consider whether our "bubble wall" background right now (i.e. just bubbles lining the back glass) is "okay" to leave?

Thank you!! :thanks:

so, you keep a "naked" background on your tank? Do you have any pics?
Not really. I have two black foam display boards as my background. I bought them at Target for just a few bucks each.

David

Attachments

• PICT0848.JPG
    PICT0848.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 82
  • PICT1114.JPG
    PICT1114.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom