What brand Tropical Flakes are best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have coupons for the Aqueon Tropical Fish Flakes... They have been on Tetra Tetramin Plus Tropical Flakes ....
I want the best food for them...
I have mollies and a platy..

Good Flake Food

Hello oc...

I've been using the TetraMin Crisps for several months and I think they're a very good supplement for my Livebearers and Corydoras. I say supplement, because I use several other dry and frozen foods too.

B

How are crisps different than flakes?
I was wondering how aqueon was only cause I have a $2 coupon... Is fish food like dog food? Cheap stuff like Pedigree equivalent to candy and junk food or high quality expensive stuff...

Aqueon is alright. I would say it's a medium brand. Is it only for flakes? Or could you get pellets too? Flakes break down too much and just puts so much junk in your tank. I would say go for pellets/crisps if possible.

The flakes are mostly the same composition. So, I would just pick whichever. I use the "color-enhancing" one. Haven't noticed any difference from the regular. I'm just going to use the rest of my flakes and then switch to pellets.

At the advice of forum members, I just ordered some New Life Spectrum (NLS) food. I was used to using flakes, and upon research found out that pellets help prevent issues that can exist when you use flake. Things already mentioned, like uneaten waste build up and break down, and things like digestion, bloat, the transfer of more nutrients, and etc.

I'm not expert on it, but there was enough material to convince me.

Omega one is a really good brand that's generally easy to find in your lfs. Theres also NLS(new life spectrum) which is better thant omega one, but you have to order it and it's pretty expensive.

NLS, Omega One, and Hikari are the best to go for, NLS being the best of all three. You can look into their website for more information, but they have great all natural ingredients.

I use NLS on my flowerhorn and he is far more excited about them than other brands. I think they taste better or have a better smell to them than other brands. He takes Hikari too.

And on my bettas, I use Hikari and used to use Omega One. Much better than the Aqueon pellets I used to use.

Petsmart normally doesn't carry NLS, at least in my area. But, the Petcos around here carry many different types. They come for every type of fish and in different sizes.

My flakes I also use to crunch up in my fingers for my fry... I could get pellets or crisps and then flakes for babies..
I discovered my mollies (including babies) don't like freeze-dried blood worms... I feed frozen BBS twice a wk but it makes such a mess in the water...
I just want the best for these guys. I made all my mistakes with an overstocked 10 gallon per the advice of Petsmart :) (don't get me wrong I LOVE Petsmart, but have learned not to take fish advice) after rehoming several fish, losing 2 mollies to a heater malfunction, and one to camallanus worms--- I have 3 mollies and 1 platy in my 29 gallon, 2 mollies recovering from worms in my 10 gallon hospital tank, and bunches of fry in my other 10 gallon...
I must say those 4 guys LOVE the space to themselves... "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..." LOL :)

I will definately look up New Life Spectrum, Haikari and Omega One... Also for my betta... Go figure tho my betta LOVES freeze-dried bloodworms... She stands on end and leaps up out of the water to get them :) looks like a little dolphin. Haha..

I will definately look up New Life Spectrum, Haikari and Omega One... Also for my betta... Go figure tho my betta LOVES freeze-dried bloodworms... She stands on end and leaps up out of the water to get them :) looks like a little dolphin. Haha..

All good brands mentioned above, I will be changing brands now that I have almost used all my Tetra brand flakes.

On a side note, watch out how many freeze-dried bloodworms you feed your betta, because they can wreak havoc on their digestive system.

Back
Top Bottom