what can go with a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay sounds good. Do i have to get the cardinal? Then are $4 each... :/ and i would assume them are tank raised because its from a chain store. Petsmart

You don't have to but they will probably do a little better in your tank than the neons will.

You don't have to but they will probably do a little better in your tank than the neons will.

Okay then maybe ill wait for when they are on sale. Odds are app those fish will do fine? I don't want to plan a stock around the betta if in the end he can't go in there...

I have 6 cardinals in a 10g with my betta. They picked on him for a day or two and had me worried that I was going to have to replace them but they ended up becoming friends after that. They pretty much ignore each other now.

Other than that it should be perfectly fine.

I have 6 cardinals in a 10g with my betta. They picked on him for a day or two and had me worried that I was going to have to replace them but they ended up becoming friends after that. They pretty much ignore each other now.

Okay that sounds good... i guess cross my figures that he isn't a big meany!! He was with neons for a short period but for the life of me i can't remember how he was with them

I think i selected the right filter... I'm not sure. I believe its for a 50g not a 30g since i go up one for better filtration. What about all those warning...?

ForumRunner_20131213_121604.jpg

Is there suppose to be a picture?

There is suppose to be... i guess when you quote the picture doesn't come. It keeps crashing when i try to upload it... its on page 3 like third from the bottom. The rocks i have... good for a loach?

As long as there are no small holes he can get stuck in or any really sharp edges that can tear the long fins it should be fine.

One thing you can do before adding rocks to a tank is put a few drops of vinegar on the dry rock and see if it fizzes or bubbles. If it does that means it will raise kh/gh/ph in your tank. Many won't use those kinds of rocks in community tanks or tanks that fish prefer softer water.

As long as there are no small holes he can get stuck in or any really sharp edges that can tear the long fins it should be fine.

One thing you can do before adding rocks to a tank is put a few drops of vinegar on the dry rock and see if it fizzes or bubbles. If it does that means it will raise kh/gh/ph in your tank. Many won't use those kinds of rocks in community tanks or tanks that fish prefer softer water.

I bought them at the fish store... they raise things? It doesn't raise my ph because all my tanks are the same. Those rocks, other rocks, and with sand. They are more of a rounded rock instead of those bog kinda pointy rocks they paint. The wood thing in the tank is stuff smooth.. a few little holes for air to get out once in the tank. Do i need to cover those? Also that rock thing to the right is all open underneath. If they get under the gravel and under there will they be fine? Do they go under gravel? I don't want to kill them when i clean my gravel

Some rocks can raise ph/kh/gh but if that tank is the same as others then that rock isn't one of them. I just told you how to check other rocks for this if you get more.

Betta's won't dig under gravel so don't worry. As for holes just watch and if you can find him for a day then check the ornaments.

Some rocks can raise ph/kh/gh but if that tank is the same as others then that rock isn't one of them. I just told you how to check other rocks for this if you get more. Betta's won't dig under gravel so don't worry. As for holes just watch and if you can find him for a day then check the ornaments.

I think the op meant the loaches digging

Most loaches don't do a lot of serious digging in gravel so I still wouldn't worry about it. Now holes are a different ball game as I have never owned a loach of any species who couldn't resist pushing into any hole they could fit in. So honestly you might want to plug the holes or remove the ornament.

Kuhli are known for substrate burrowing, my kuhlis and my horse head loaches haven't had the same issues with getting trapped in my decorations as my clowns and yo yos, but they are known to disappear into substrate for days at a time... Kuhli completely disappear, the horseheads will poke just their eyes and long nose up to the surface- but I use sand that's made for sifting bottom feeders, there are a couple places that I have seen them kept in gravel, but never for too long because they get bought up pretty quick. I honestly am not 100% on success with rounded river pebbles- keep me posted, it's good info to have...

Kuhli are known for substrate burrowing, my kuhlis and my horse head loaches haven't had the same issues with getting trapped in my decorations as my clowns and yo yos, but they are known to disappear into substrate for days at a time... Kuhli completely disappear, the horseheads will poke just their eyes and long nose up to the surface- but I use sand that's made for sifting bottom feeders, there are a couple places that I have seen them kept in gravel, but never for too long because they get bought up pretty quick. I honestly am not 100% on success with rounded river pebbles- keep me posted, it's good info to have...

Would sand be better then? I would get play and if anything so it wouldn't be to good... very dul colors. I don't want them to go under the gravel and then me take the siphon and like cut them in half... lol

They can't burrow in gravel unless it is very fine. Kuhli loaches will burrow in sand.

They can't burrow in gravel unless it is very fine. Kuhli loaches will burrow in sand.

Okay that makes me feel a bit better. Should i take some sand and do a corner of sand for them??? Or hiding places in plants and that big stump thing is enough

I wouldn't mess with anything but you could remove a corner of gravel and carefully add some very well washed sand.

Back
Top Bottom