what can i keep with 'White Clouds' ?? need some ideas ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 20 gallon tank with white clouds.
I don't have a heater. so i NEED coldwater fish !!

any ideas of what I can put with white clouds.
what is compatible with white clouds??

Well, with out a heater you don't have much a selection. But white clouds do better at colder temperatures. Other fish that don't need a heated tank are goldfish but they get too big for a 20 gallon, so I think the only canidates are more white clouds or hill stream loaches. BTW how many white clouds do you have in your tank?

Yeah, you could add more white clouds and I guess it would look better too. If you add a heater the white clouds will lose a bit of their colors but you will be allowed to keep a more variety of fish.

Bhunsucker said:
I would add a heater. Then you could place a variety of fish in the aquarium.

i realise that, :D

however, i would like to have a PURE 'coldwater' tank

i already have a tank with a heater at home.
a little change up this time.....
:wink:

If you can find a hillstream loach, they are pretty cool fish, but they are seasonal i think. I got one and he's in my Warm water aquarium doing great, even though they like colder water, they can adapt to warmer temperatures.

also,

what is the difference between a PLECO and a HILL-STREAM LOACH??

they look exactly the same?? are they the same thing??

they don't really grow in captivity, maybe one will thrive in a colder environment, but from everything ive read they stay about 2", i can say that mine hasn't grown in about 2 months.

Check out Martin Thoene's hillstream article and river tanks, designed for the loach, too. Fwiw, I don't think you should consider this fish unless you can provide proper current as well as low temps.

How cold is your tank? Kuhli loaches prefer temps in the low 70s. Cherry barbs do well at the same temp. Both of these fish can be in groups and are the perfect size for your tank.

Check out Martin Thoene's hillstream article and river tanks , designed for the loach, too. Fwiw, I don't think you should consider this fish unless you can provide proper current as well as low temps.

I got my hillstream loach as a gift before i knew anything about it. I wouldn't have bought it had i known it was a coldwater fish, but since it came from walmart, i figured it was better off in my tank.

thanks everyone !!

i have to say.....Pleco's look VERY SIMILAR to Hillstream Loaches !!
(maybe because they're both sucking kinda fish)

Pleco's have a dorsal fin and no webbed-looking fins
Hillstream loaches are totally flat

apart from that, they could easily be mistaken for one another, since they both have spots and are both Sucking-fish !

PLECO
pleco.jpg

HILLSTREAM LOACH
hillstream_james.jpg

i really want a hillstream loach, they look great !!
and my tank has a strong current that they would LOVE !!

The only difference i see in plecos and hillstream loaches is that plecos have one giant sucker for its mouth and the hillstream loach has two seperate parts on it body that it uses to stick to things.

Also remember even though they stick to the glass they dont eat purely algae like plecos mainly do, They will eat some i can say that but they do better off eating algae tablets,bloodworms,and other stuff than relying on them to eat only algae.

I would get some kuhlis a hillstream loach and if you have plants maybe an otto.
Thats practically what one of my tanks are like.Don't worry because kuhlis and ottos can survive low temps (my first otto lived at about 73 degrees).

Good luck.

question:

are hillstream loaches 'Schooling' fish??

do i need to keep more than 1 ??

http://www.loaches.com/species_pages/beaufortia_kweichowensis.html

I have a hillstream loach too......unfortunately it was sold to me as some sort of chinese pleco that would stay small and I didn't know better. Anyway he seems to be doing fine in my tank and has been in there for a few months. He really likes the bubble wall. I keep the bubble wall against the glass(these guys are always sucking on the sides of the tank) and he can usually be found there. I think in the wild they like fast currents as well as colder water.

Back
Top Bottom