what can you tell me about rainbows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 7 assorted rainbows that I purchased for $7 total. I know what part of the world they come from and that they are super fast swimmers but that is about it. I know one is a praecox, 2 are emerald and the previous owner called one a "red" and said it was male but it doesn't seem as red as the pictures I've googled and 2 are unknown to me. I will get pics tomorrow when I turn the lights back on. I have them in a 55g and I have been feeding frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. Tank mates are peacock gudgeons and 4 albino bn plecos (all females I think and I plan on rehoming at least 2). Oh yes and my tank is planted with pool filter sand substrate. I keep the temp at 80 degrees for the peacocks as they like it warm and it induces spawning. So should I change anything? Any tips or suggestions?

Rainbows do well together, I had a tank full of them. I kept them on their own since they're super fast eaters. They were fun to watch and grew fairly quick, very hardy fish. The thing I loved the most was watching the alpha male flare up his colors to show dominance.
Are you keeping them together with peacocks?

Yes and I make sure everyone gets food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 11 bosemani rainbows. You definitely want 2 females to 1 male. When theyre spawning the males are pretty rough on the females, usually they target 1 female at a time and all display and compete for her. (In my tank anyway)

They love peas

They looove planted tanks and theyre colours look soooo amazing. Give them some good lighting. If you can get live foods they say it enhances their colour... but mine are soo gorgeous even without. They get pretty big though. That 55 is probly bare minimum for how active and fast they are.

If you plan to breed BNs at any point, i was advised the rainbows will eat the fry

i like catching moths and watching my rainbows conpete for the snack

Back
Top Bottom