What cichlids and how many can I fit in a 40 gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The fish guy8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to get a 40 gallon tank and want to know what cichlids to get and how many of each to get. I also want to know what gender and how many of each gender to get. Keep in mind that I am an intermediate fish keeper.

I am going to get a 40 gallon tank and want to know what cichlids to get and how many of each to get. I also want to know what gender and how many of each gender to get. Keep in mind that I am an intermediate fish keeper.
Do you have any preference for a particular biotope/region? Rough and tumble or relatively peaceful? It is a good sized tank for dwarf cichlids, for at least two pairs plus dithers. Some smaller South Americans are quite possible too. If you do not have pairs, and have different cichlids of opposite sexes who somewhat match in size/shape, hybrids may happen. If you want to keep rift lake cichlids, I am sure someone with good experience with them will chime in.

Firemouths are a nice 40 appropriate species, the big guys like oscars and Jack dempsey's are out. If you're talking Africans a few mbuna species will work in a 40. Yellow labs, zebras etc...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I could possibly upgrade to a 55 gallon tank. What African cichlids could fit in that. I am thinking about yellow labs, peacocks, or zebras. Any other good african cichlids?

Last edited:
Bigger tanks are always better. Easier to manage, and won't crash as easily as smaller tanks. Also what types of fish you can put in it opens up as most fish need bigger tanks. Definitely get the 55 if you can. Don't be limited like I am!

Most Peacocks will be fine in a 55, avoid haps though. With a 55 most any mbuna are on the table. Be careful mixing mbuna with Peacocks, I've done it with success, many have, but there can be issues, particularly the mbuna bullying the peacocks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With a 40 Mbuna (mean), smaller south americans, and dwarf cichlids would all be able to thrive within that size tank. If you get a 55G then your options will open up to everything but the oscars and others of that size.

Back
Top Bottom