What Could I Stock in a 90g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about turning the soon to be mine ninety gallon tank I'm getting into a planted freshwater community. What could I stock? Also, what's necessary in terms of equipment and what filters, heaters, lights, etc do you recommend? ( that don't break the bank)
I'll definitely have guppies in it if I decode to use it as a dt or if I use it as a fishroom tank and il have 3 males and 6 females if it's a dt
What else can I stock? Please make suggestions. I don't dislike any fish really besides oscars, jds, etc but they are definelty not community fish!

Possible stock list( please critique)-
6- tiger barb
2- dwarf gourami
2- gbr
3- guppy pairs
6- peppered Cory
6- sterbai Cory
2- blue Mickey mouse platy
20- rummynose tetra
6- zebra danio
10- harlequin rasbora
5- boesami rainbow
1- gold nugget pleco
20- RCS
3- zebra nerite snail
Is this a good stock list?

No one? Please at the very least give me some sort of advice!
Up the school of Tiger Barbs to 10.
Change the DGs to Honey Gouramis. Better tempered and prettier. Make sure you have 1m:1f
GBRs, fine.
Guppy Pairs, fine.
Up the two Cory schools to 8-ish.
I would bump the Platies, taking up needed space.
Rummynoses, fine. (I love them.)
Zebra Danios are OK. Might not mix well with Guppies, they are fin nippers.
I could do with out Harlequin Rasbora.
I love Bosemanis, bump up the school a little.
Gold Nuggets, fine.

RCS will most likely get eaten. I wouldn't bother.

If you are going to do 20 Rummy Noses, I wouldn't add another school of 10 Harlequin Rasboras as well. I

10 Tiger Barbs
2 Honey Gouramis
2 German Blue Rams
8 Sterbai Cories
8 C. Paleatus
20 Rummynose Tetras
Maybe 6 Zebra Danios, I would do Leopard Danios, or Purple Passion.
6-8 Bosemani Rainbows
1 Gold Nugget Pleco

That is about 70 fish. I like the idea of it. :)
I would go with 2 AC HOB filters along with a Canister.
400-450 w heater
and at least a 200 W t5 fixture will do. That is what I would do with that tank. It is your tank and make what ever tweaks you want. ;)

Oh I switched the lists
Please read entire thing for most recent list

hmm,id go with the second,but add a few more females of the livebearers so they dont get harrassed

Which is a better list-

Stocklist-
3-Oto
6-Peppered Cory
10- Cherry Barb
3-Swordtail-Assorted,Hi FIn Blood Red,Neon
6-Harlequin Rasbora
6-Panda Cory
1-Dwarf Gourami
1-Sparkling Gourami
10-Guppy
6-Khuli Loach
10-Rummynose Tetra
6-Cardinal Tetra
6-Serpae Tetra
6-Von Rio Flame Tetra
2-German Blue Ram
6-Pencilfish
6-Bleeding Heart Tetra
OR
2- German Blue Ram
10- Cherry Barb
10- Peppered Cory, 5:5
6- Zebra Danio
2- Dwarf Gourami
6- Fancy Guppy, 1:1
6- Khuli Loach
2- Gold Dust Molly, 1:1
10- Harlequin Rasbora
6- Otocinlus
1- Hi Fin Blood Red Swordtail
20- Rummynose Tetra
10- Cardinal Tetra
10- Penguin Tetra
10- Serpae Tetra
10- Von Rio Flame Tetra
2- Creamsicle Lyretail Molly
2- Platinum Lyretail Molly
1- Male Betta

I'm not the biggest live beaerer fan but if I had to choose one of the lists I would choose #1 and tweak it a little.

I think I have the list.It's a combo of the two of them-

3-Oto
6-Peppered Cory
10- Cherry Barb
3-Swordtail-Assorted,Hi Fin Blood Red,Neon
6-Harlequin Rasbora
6-Panda Cory
1-Dwarf Gourami
20-Guppy
6-Penguin Tetra
1-Male Betta
6-Khuli Loach
10-Rummynose Tetra
6-Cardinal Tetra
6-Serpae Tetra
6-Von Rio Flame Tetra
2-German Blue Ram
6-Bleeding Heart Tetra
2- Creamsicle Lyretail Molly, 1:1
2- Platinum Lyretail Molly, 1:1
3-Zebra Nerite Snail
That's three inverts and 110 fish. I'm going to remove and sell fry. I plan to have these two filters-
Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75
Aqueon QuietFlow 10
And this heater-
Aqueon Pro Heater 250w
Please tell me what to change and add,etc!

I'd up the ottos a bit. Dang, you like livebearers. That might come back to bite you

I'd up the ottos a bit. Dang, you like livebearers. That might come back to bite you

Yup!I love livebearers!LOL
There's only 3.5 million that I've bred over the years!
Anyway the fry will either be eaten or sold-no worries!
There's only 29 in the stock-:fish2::fish2:
5 otos then.I'm just worried about the combo of them and the snails and there not being enough algae.

Lol. Try getting the ottos on blanched zuccini or cucumber. They will be fine, and so will the snails!

Am I stocked or can I add to my numbers? I've seen well filtered 100 gals with 200 or so schooling fish and a bunch of others besides

2- German Blue Ram
10- Cherry Barb
10- Peppered Cory, 5:5
6- Zebra Danio
1- Dwarf Gourami
20- Guppy, 1:2
6- Khuli Loach
10- Harlequin Rasbora
6- Otocinlus
1- Hi Fin Blood Red Swordtail
10- Rummynose Tetra
10- Cardinal Tetra
10- Penguin Tetra
10- Serpae Tetra
10- Von Rio Flame Tetra
2- Creamsicle Lyretail Molly
2- Platinum Lyretail Molly
1- Male Betta
6- Zebra Nerite Snails
10- Harlequin Rasbora
10- Long Fin Red Minor Tetra
10- Silvertip Tetra
10- Bleeding Heart Tetra
1- Longfin Regular Bristlenose Pleco

I'm leaning towards this list
I edited it a bit

Just to clarify, you are talking about having all of these fish in one 90 gallon tank? I make that about 170 fish...

ErinMcG said:
Just to clarify, you are talking about having all of these fish in one 90 gallon tank? I make that about 170 fish...
My LFS has a 90 show tank with 200 community fish ranging in size from tetras to angels

My LFS has a 90 show tank with 200 community fish ranging in size from tetras to angels

You can get away with that only if you're willing to overfilter the tank (150%-200% filtration) and do 50% water changes weekly. The plants will help with filtration, but not enough to overstock to the levels you're thinking...

As far as what you've actually chosen for your stocking list, looks workable as long as you watch out for the following possible conflicts:

1) Male bettas tend to get aggressive towards male guppies because they mistake them for other bettas. Make sure you take the following steps to avoid conflicts:
* Add the guppies first so the eventual betta doesn't see them as intruders.
* When choosing your betta, hold the cup next to the guppy tank. Pass on bettas that flare constantly and don't settle down after realizing the guppies aren't bettas. You want one that either doesnt react, or at most does an initial flare.
* When adding the betta, float him in a clear isolation chamber so he can see, but not get at the guppies. Keep him in there for a few days until he consistently has no reactions when the guppies swim by.

2) Keep an eye on the gourami and betta. Some will not tolerate each other if they're both male. If you've chosen a mellow betta per prior instructions for the guppy issues this shouldn't be an issue.

3) Keep an eye on the guppy and betta fins. Serpae tetras tend to fin nip flowing fins, not familiar enough with some of your other tetra choices to say if they tend to nip too or not. Barbs tend to nip flowy fins as well, so keep an eye on the cherries.

4) Mollies sometimes struggle in tanks that have no salt... Some people can pull it off, but I hear a lot of people saying how their mollies kept dying until they added salt. Tetras usually come from areas with no salt, so I don't recommend adding salt to satisfy the mollies as it could stress your tetras...

Hope this helps!

I don't know if your filtration will be very sufficient. I would rather see you do something like 2 AC 70/110s or a canister such as a Fluval FX5. Aqueon doesn't have the best filters.

Hmm
I loved my old Aqueon filter
It was fantastic
But I'll add one aquaclear 70 and the aqueon 55/75

Luananeko said:
You can get away with that only if you're willing to overfilter the tank (150%-200% filtration) and do 50% water changes weekly. The plants will help with filtration, but not enough to overstock to the levels you're thinking...

As far as what you've actually chosen for your stocking list, looks workable as long as you watch out for the following possible conflicts:

1) Male bettas tend to get aggressive towards male guppies because they mistake them for other bettas. Make sure you take the following steps to avoid conflicts:
* Add the guppies first so the eventual betta doesn't see them as intruders.
* When choosing your betta, hold the cup next to the guppy tank. Pass on bettas that flare constantly and don't settle down after realizing the guppies aren't bettas. You want one that either doesnt react, or at most does an initial flare.
* When adding the betta, float him in a clear isolation chamber so he can see, but not get at the guppies. Keep him in there for a few days until he consistently has no reactions when the guppies swim by.

2) Keep an eye on the gourami and betta. Some will not tolerate each other if they're both male. If you've chosen a mellow betta per prior instructions for the guppy issues this shouldn't be an issue.

3) Keep an eye on the guppy and betta fins. Serpae tetras tend to fin nip flowing fins, not familiar enough with some of your other tetra choices to say if they tend to nip too or not. Barbs tend to nip flowy fins as well, so keep an eye on the cherries.

4) Mollies sometimes struggle in tanks that have no salt... Some people can pull it off, but I hear a lot of people saying how their mollies kept dying until they added salt. Tetras usually come from areas with no salt, so I don't recommend adding salt to satisfy the mollies as it could stress your tetras...

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I do 75% water changes weekly so I should be okay with those
I'll go with your method for the betta- sounds like it works
I'll try that with the gourami tank too so I can see how they react
I have a layout designed to block lines of sight and give lots of hiding places plus multiple pieces of driftwood and rock caves
The layout is on page 2 or 3 I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom