Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy What do I do now?

Hi guys,

Very sad to report that my beautiful Black Moor Regine passed away on Sunday evening.

Having been battling various illnesses during her three and a bit years of life, and despite my best attempts to cure her each time (there was one point when I thought she was indestructable), she'd finally given up. I'm not entirely sure what is was that was too much for her in the end, but we've been watching her life ebb away for the past couple of weeks.

We're really devastated but I'm not entirely sure what to do next with regards to the tank.

I've got a 15 gallon (she was in it on her own) with a PF 2 filter and airstone. Water parametres were checked weekly and were always consistantly good and the water temperature hung around the low 70s.

Since she died, I'd kept the filter and airstone running (I've turned the light off) - is this the best thing to do so that I don't need to re-cycle the tank again if/when I decide to get another fish or is there something else I need to do? Do I still change water etc?

Also, if anyone has any stocking recommendations too that would be great. I know 15 gallons is only enough for one fancy, but maybe there are other types of fish options? I don't think I could have another Black Moor :-(

Thanks for reading!

Chris

Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

In order to keep the filter seeded with beneficial bacteria you need to have an ammonia source. Food is the easiest way to keep it cycled, just throw little bit of food in the tank once a day and that will decompose and produce ammonia. Just keep doing small weekly water changes also. You could do a lot of different community fish from small tetras, cory cats, and dwarf gourami. 4 Pygmy cory cats, 4 galaxy rasbora, and 1 honey gourami.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. Are there any other freshwater recommendations that you might have? I'm not sure I want to go tropical.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnield View Post
Thank you for the reply. Are there any other freshwater recommendations that you might have? I'm not sure I want to go tropical.

Thanks!
White Cloud Mountain minnows are colorful cold water fish in case you do not want to go tropical
Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

Thank you.

It's horrible having an empty tank in the house!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com