What do I do now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisnield

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

Very sad to report that my beautiful Black Moor Regine passed away on Sunday evening.

Having been battling various illnesses during her three and a bit years of life, and despite my best attempts to cure her each time (there was one point when I thought she was indestructable), she'd finally given up. I'm not entirely sure what is was that was too much for her in the end, but we've been watching her life ebb away for the past couple of weeks.

We're really devastated but I'm not entirely sure what to do next with regards to the tank.

I've got a 15 gallon (she was in it on her own) with a PF 2 filter and airstone. Water parametres were checked weekly and were always consistantly good and the water temperature hung around the low 70s.

Since she died, I'd kept the filter and airstone running (I've turned the light off) - is this the best thing to do so that I don't need to re-cycle the tank again if/when I decide to get another fish or is there something else I need to do? Do I still change water etc?

Also, if anyone has any stocking recommendations too that would be great. I know 15 gallons is only enough for one fancy, but maybe there are other types of fish options? I don't think I could have another Black Moor :-(

Thanks for reading!

Chris

312195_10152832862485567_455489429_n.jpg

In order to keep the filter seeded with beneficial bacteria you need to have an ammonia source. Food is the easiest way to keep it cycled, just throw little bit of food in the tank once a day and that will decompose and produce ammonia. Just keep doing small weekly water changes also. You could do a lot of different community fish from small tetras, cory cats, and dwarf gourami. 4 Pygmy cory cats, 4 galaxy rasbora, and 1 honey gourami.

Thank you for the reply. Are there any other freshwater recommendations that you might have? I'm not sure I want to go tropical.

Thanks!

Thank you.

It's horrible having an empty tank in the house!

Back
Top Bottom