What do I need for a 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Soon I will be buying a 75 gallon aquarium now I need a check list on what to buy for it like what type of filters and heaters etc. Next I also ned help on stocking it with fish I dont know what type of fish I can put in there or what type of fish I want because I want a lot.
I cant do aggressive fish though. My price rang for the filter would be 80 bucks Because im already spending 245 on the tank alone.

Thanks in advance

-brian

Well I would check Craigslist if I was you to see if you can find a good deal. For a large tank, canister filters are preferable but large hang on back filters work fine too. You'll also need a heater about 250-300 watts for that size tanks. For substrate if recommend getting pool filter sand because its considerable cheaper than aquarium sand. Just make sure you clean the sand first. Let me know if you have any questions!

Well I would check Craigslist if I was you to see if you can find a good deal. For a large tank, canister filters are preferable but large hang on back filters work fine too. You'll also need a heater about 250-300 watts for that size tanks. For substrate if recommend getting pool filter sand because its considerable cheaper than aquarium sand. Just make sure you clean the sand first. Let me know if you have any questions!

Yes. I have pool filter sand and it cost $6 for 50 lb! I don't recommend hob filters for 40+ gallon tanks as they r not reliable enough to clean the water very well. New filters for a 75 gal tank will not cost below $100. A good one that is not expensive is the eheim classic 2215371. U can also look on Craigslist for used canister filters that usually cost A LOT less.

You will need ( based on the assumption that you have no supplies what so ever)

1 filter that is the proper size for your tank
1 heater ( if needed)
About 75 pounds of the substrate of your choosing
1 thermometer
Decoration with lots of caves
Plants ( real plants are good for larger tanks, because they make your fish feel more at home)
Ammonia sensor ( optional but saves money in the long run)
1 large mag float
No more than 75 inches of cheep fish
I suggest tetras or more common fish like guppies

When stocking, don't refer too the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule, it is stupid. I would suggest getting a large school of tetras to be the center piece of the tank or some angels. A good school of rummy nose or cardinals never let me down. Get a good size school of loaches or cories they will look great

Honestly you're best bet with choosing fish is based of what YOU want. Do you want a large community with lots of fish and schools? Or do you want an aggressive cichlid tank? Or you do have the option of a semi aggressive community where you get the best of both? It all comes down what you think is interesting

For a tank of that size, I would split the heating option into two heaters, one for each side of the tank. Two 150-watt heaters would be good.

David

What im thinking of getting

Ballon belly mollies
Fancy guppies
Cory catfish
Tiger barbs
Hi fin platies
Jumbo neon tetra
Zebra danios
And thats it!
And for the filter I was thinking of the aqueon 200 watt heater but people say it clicks when you turn it on is it true?
For the filter im get 1 tetra Whisper 60-75 gallon aquarkum filtrr since its 40 $. Also canister filters seem really complicated to put together are they?

For a tank of that size, I would split the heating option into two heaters, one for each side of the tank. Two 150-watt heaters would be good.

David

I agree. One 300 watt heater will only heat a part of the tank or not distribute the heat evenly.

What im thinking of getting

Ballon belly mollies
Fancy guppies
Cory catfish
Tiger barbs
Hi fin platies
Jumbo neon tetra
Zebra danios
And thats it!
And for the filter I was thinking of the aqueon 200 watt heater but people say it clicks when you turn it on is it true?
For the filter im get 1 tetra Whisper 60-75 gallon aquarkum filtrr since its 40 $. Also canister filters seem really complicated to put together are they?

No. Do not get hob filter for 50+ gallon tanks as they will not do a good job filtering. They will also break down easier becuz of the large bio load a 50+ gallon tank can create. Canister filter will cost more but is worth it. They r not hard to put together as they usually come set up in the box. All u need to is open the bags containing the media.
I recommend the fluval, marineland c-series, eheim classic series, and the rena canister filters.

I disagree honestly you can easily run one 300W heater for a 75g. Thats all I use and I have had a 75g tank with 2 bala sharks, 15 mixed species of tetras and a Midnight Catfish for 2 years now with no problems holding mid 80 degee temps. As for the filter I do run 2-55/75g filters! One at each end of the tank instead of one (bio-wheel filter basically 2 filters in one) the canisters are nice but expensive! I do a 25 percent w/c once a week; don't over ferd and my fish are big healthy and happya

No. Do not get hob filter for 50+ gallon tanks as they will not do a good job filtering. They will also break down easier becuz of the large bio load a 50+ gallon tank can create. Canister filter will cost more but is worth it. They r not hard to put together as they usually come set up in the box. All u need to is open the bags containing the media.
I recommend the fluval, marineland c-series, eheim classic series, and the rena canister filters.

While I do agree that canisters are more efficient, there are HOBs suited for larger tanks as well such as the aquaclear 110. Aquaclears are probably some of the best HOBs out there. A small HOB will not do a good job filtering on that size tank, however a small canister wouldn't work either. Just like with canisters there are lots of different sizes for different tank volumes. If you are able to shell out the money for a canister, do it. However if you're on a budget, go with a quality HOB like an aquaclear.

Last edited:
While I do agree that canisters are more efficient, there are HOBs suited for larger tanks as well such as the aquaclear 110. Aquaclears are probably some of the best HOBs out there. A small HOB will not do a good job filtering on that size tank, however a small canister wouldn't work either. Just like with canisters there are lots of different sizes for different tank volumes. If you are able to shell out the money for a canister, do it. However if you're on a budget, go with a quality HOB like an aquaclear.

Aquaclears r ok as they have media bags and the 110 is quite large.

I have the largest marine land bio wheel filter as long with a uv sterilizer and a penguin power filter and my 75 is always crystal clear

Yeah, I've heard good things about the penguins too - I have the 150 on my 29 gallon in conjunction with another HOB. The motor on the penguin is pretty bad, it always has to labor to start up even with me feeding it water, however I'm not sure if that's because the filter motor was weak to start, or if I just did something :oops:

Yeah, I've heard good things about the penguins too - I have the 150 on my 29 gallon in conjunction with another HOB. The motor on the penguin is pretty bad, it always has to labor to start up even with me feeding it water, however I'm not sure if that's because the filter motor was weak to start, or if I just did something :oops:

I have the 150 on my 20 gal and it runs quiet and smooth. Motor works very well. I love the way the have a way of telling u it's time to change the cartridges. ( shortcut route that will have water flowing out when water is held back too much )

I agree. AquaClears are great ! I've used them for years, and I'm actually running two AquaClear 110's on my 75 gallon right now (because I like to over filter), but one is more than adequate for a 75 gallon. My water is always crystal clear, and my parameters are always stable. With AquaClears you get mechanical, chemical and bilogical filtration. And you can use any type of filter media you choose. IMO - they are the best HOB filter you can buy. And the price is right too - while I was in PetSmart the other day, I noticed that they had them on sale for $67.99 (the 110s normally run at about $90.00).

I agree. AquaClears are great ! I've used them for years, and I'm actually running two AquaClear 110's on my 75 gallon right now (because I like to over filter), but one will more than do the job on a 75 gallon. My water is always crystal clear, and my parameters are always stable. With AquaClears you get mechanical, chemical and bilogical filtration. And you can use any type of filter media you choose. IMO - they are the best HOB filter you can buy. And the price is right too - while I was in PetSmart the other day, I noticed that they had them on sale for $67.99 (the 110s normally run at about $90.00).

It's only $65 on amazon + prime if u have it.

Back
Top Bottom