What do suggest to help plants be healthy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
Now that my 10 gal. tank has cycled, I would like to go from fake plants to real. I want to add: water sprite, wisteria, moss ball and a banana tubular thingy plant!! What product do you suggest is the best for keeping your plants healthy! Tank is stocked with a few Endlers, three spepra long fin tetras and a few Glo-danios. And what algae eater is the best for these conditions? Thank ahead of time!:thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Plants do take care of ammonia and nitrates, I don't think they do anything to nitrItes, though.

Root tabs could benefit the plants, but I am not sure that they are necessary in this situation.

For a tank that size I would suggest getting 3 nerite snails. They can't reproduce in freshwater so you won't get a population explosion of snails and they eat the biggest variety of algae of any of the algae eaters I know. In fact they are the only algae eater than can eat green spot algae. Plus they won't add anything to the tanks bio-load.

As for plants... even in a low light tank the weekly addition of a small amount of liquid fertilizer would be good after water changes. This way your plants are less likely to have any nutrient deficiency problems.

Three serpae tetras is a recipe for a very unpleasant tank. They need a school to not be nippy and aggressive. Also considering the size of the tank, I wouldnt suggest any species of fish as an algae eater. Shrimp and snail would be a better alternative, with red cherry shrimp and Nerites being good options.

Back
Top Bottom