What do you do with your flake food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwayne.aycock

Aquarium Advice Freak
I buy my flake food in bulk, but after a while I have more powder than actual flake food. I now have about a 1 pound bag of flake food powder and don't know what to do with it. The larger flake food sinks to the bottom where the fish can get it, but the powder floats and heads right for the filter, resulting in a loss of food and a prematurely clogged filter. What do you folks do with your foods when they get like this? I guess some just throw it away, but it is still good, just too small. Can I spread the food out on a large baking pan and add a binder like flour and put it in the oven? Can I moisten and bind it and just let it sit out in the sun for a few hours until dry and in bigger flakes? I know it may sound trivial to some, but the food consists of beef heart flake, metro flake, brine shrimp flake, algae flake, bloodworm flake and a few others. Any suggestions? I have a large zip lock bag of the stuff, but not feeding because of the associated problems with size.
D:fish1:

Some people the filters off while feeding . It would be perfect for fry (baby fish) I think the moisten it and let it redry might work . I don't think flour would be good for fish . Maybe calcium like from tums would be a safer binder since people give it to snails to help raise ph

If you have any smallish fish, they will appreciate the bits of powdery flake. I'm not sure of your filtration, but an option might be to just turn off the filter or use something to deflect the intake temporarily at feeding time. Just add a tiny pinch at a time to make sure it all gets eaten.

Back
Top Bottom