What do you feed your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pittbully13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I feed mine tetra color fish flakes and frozen blood worms, but whats a good fish flake to make their colors pop?

I feed Omega One flakes as a staple for most of my community fish as well as New Life Spectrum pellets.

I feed omega one veggie flakes, freeze dried mysis shrimp, algae wafers, sinking shrimp pellets, and Hikari sinking wafers regularly. Every few days I will alternate between one of my frozen foods (blood worms, glass worms, brine shrimp, omnivore mix) and a cooked, deshelled, smashed pea.

1 tank with Comets- Cheap flakes and Pellets. Will upgrade to a better brand when this batch runs out. Also feed them some fruit or blanched salad every other day. I try to feed pees twice per week for digestion. I found out that Comets will eat bloodworms too so i will try them on frozen bloodworms when i get them.

1 tank with Neon tetras, Harlquin Rasboras and Kuhli Loaches
- Much the same as the Comets, but i will buy frozen bloodworms for the NT's and HR's and algea wafers that i can hide for the Kuhlis if they don't learn to come out at feeding time. I will also try dropping some pellets into the Kuhli's cave network that they can find. I'm trying to be wary of overfeeding but want to make sure the Kuhlis will get something.

Sounds like omega one is the preferred brand. Is there a specialty food that brings out the colors for the fish more? I have neons, serpae tetras, and white clouds.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brine shrimp can really help make their colors pop. I also use the omega one flake, cichlid pellets, blood worms, blanched zucchini, algae wafers, and cooked smashed peas ,

Nearly all fish show their best colours when they get a good proportion of live, or frozen live, foods. Any live or frozen food the fish will accept are good. Brine shrimp are the old standard, but daphnia, fruit flies or their larvae, microworms or other small worms, all these are great for colour, as well as general health.

I feed omega one pellets, frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and tubifex worms.

I feed freeze dried blood worms, top fin flakes and algae wafers for the moment. I haven't stocked out my tank yet and I'm waiting for it to be better established before going to better foods. I'm mainly focused on controlling excess right now. I use the flakes sparingly because they do have phosphates and always end up on the bottom faster than the blood worms. Everything in the tank will eat the algae wafers.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've done frozen blood worm and my fish go wild for them, but my wife always throws them away before I'm done with cubes. Stating its gross storing worms in the freezer

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My fish, by far, prefer frozen bloodworms over all other food, I only feed it once a week though, I've heard it can cause digestive issues if fed to often.

I read labels. You want fish/shrimp ingredients at the first of the list and the less filler, the better. Cheap foods are higher in filler, that's what makes them cheap to manufacture. But, I'm not brand loyal at all. Right now, I have Omega One flake, frozen blood worms, and Hikari and Wardley wafers for the bottom feeders. It's all good stuff. I'm considering hatching brine shrimp again. It's been ages since I did that.

I read labels. You want fish/shrimp ingredients at the first of the list and the less filler, the better. Cheap foods are higher in filler, that's what makes them cheap to manufacture. But, I'm not brand loyal at all. Right now, I have Omega One flake, frozen blood worms, and Hikari and Wardley wafers for the bottom feeders. It's all good stuff. I'm considering hatching brine shrimp again. It's been ages since I did that.

A agree 100%. Read the ingredients. The less grain (corn, wheat, rice, flour, etc. - these are fillers) products and the farther down they are in the ingredients list, the better. Also fish meal is a lower quality blend of random excess fish parts instead of whole fish meals that include all parts of the fish.

For me it's all about how fast they eat the food and how much it clouds the water

WE DONT KEEP FISH WE KEEP WATER bad water = unhappy fish

I have never had a fish refuse hikari but I have with other foods

I normally feed a high protein based food like hikari sturgeon sinking carnivore and massivore
I also feed hikari sinking cichlid gold to add some veg in

I have also started feeding new life spectrum mega pellets

I mix all the pellets in one big tub

What you need to remember is I feed two big full cups of food per day

I feed frozen and live bait only, bloodworm, brine shrimp etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom