What do you guys use in your AquaClear110 filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone! Ive researched this quite a bit but was looking to see if any of you has messed around with different filter media in the AC110 filters? I have a 75 gallon tank with two of these monsters. I run the large sponges in both, and in one i use a layer of filter floss and filled to the top with crushed coral, and in the other is just biomedia to the top.

Since i started the tank i have found the water to be cloudy, like microbubbles everywhere kind of cloudy. I know the sponges that come for these filters arent very fine, so im thinking it could be some suspended small bits that get past the media. Possibly from the food too. I was previously thinking it could be a newer tank sort of issue, but the tanks been up for around a half year i think without any sign of issues. So its not a new tank thing. Does anyone know of a way to get a finer sponge to put after the origonal sponge to work more effectively? The small amount of filter floss i put in is clogged within the week easy so it doesnt do much

Throw in filter floss in both to clear up water.

Add the same media in both filters.
Mechanical and bio media.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can add the filter floss to the other. But the way the crushed coral and bio media is bagged, I'm not able to split to add both. I shouldn't need the bio media anyways technically as the sponges themselves have a large amount of surface area alone. But like it for seeding quarantines

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could try purigen

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

You can cut your sponge in half long ways, add filter floss or even the sheets you get for canister filters, and chit to size, i cut Bolles in mine so if it gets clogged the water can still get past it, or get yourself a badge of bio Chem sorb or chemi pure, only bad thing about the sheets of canister stuff is it gets clogged really fast and can back flow the filter

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tanks pretty clear the hazy you might notice is from the bubble stones

Attachments

• 1448967075881.jpg
    1448967075881.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 55
Wrong pic in my other post that was the green tint from meds lol

Attachments

• 1448967383925.jpg
    1448967383925.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 48
I just started reading up about purigen and its got me curious. But it removes nitrogenous materials, or the waste before it hits that stage anyways? Maybe when my fish grow to full size i might like a bit of extra help with nitrate management... But for now wouldnt purigen maitnence and etc sort of make for a little less stable bioload? Like, i understand the nitrogen cycle and whatnot, but it acts on having enough bacteria to keep up with the waste produces. So if the waste is lessened, there would be less BB. And maybe the idea is to never let it reach the point of getting "filled up", but if the effectiveness did suffer or the amount of time out to bleach it was long enough, wouldnt it have the possibility of not being able to keep up? Im a little cautious about using additives that have the possibility of hiding issues for limited amounts of time. Currently my BB is solid so i wouldnt want to change that. After all, id only want it to clear the water and i can live with the slight haze if there was a chance. I could very well be misunderstanding

Also, how much would be wanted for my 75 gallon tank? And what would the maintenance schedule look like?

All I really count on Purigen for is making the water pretty. I keep a lot of wood in the tank for the shrimp and it releases tannins. No big deal, doesn't hurt anything but I like clear water. The container tells you exactly how much you need, if you decide to go with it.

Honestly, think of it as a reusable filter floss, past all the fancy words, that's what it does.

Clear water? :D hahahaha No, it doesn't affect anything else that I've noticed.

Back
Top Bottom