What do you know about Bamboo Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket2001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been thinking about adding something new to my community tank...and i saw a Lg Bamboo Shrimp at my local fish store..can anybody give me any feedback on these types of shrimp?

Bamboo shrimp ----> Atyopsis spinipes
They are fan shrimp, which means they filter food particles from the water. Another name for this shrimp is Wood shrimp. They grow to about 3 inches.

HTH

They're very sensitive to water quality, and to copper-based medications. Water in the tank has to be kept very clean. If you're committed to weekly water changes on the tank, and if the tank is not overstocked, I'd say go for it.

They do get larger than 3", though. Allivymar (former advisor here) had one that was pushing 5", and other reports on the net confirm this.

They're quite interesting creatures, and will do their best to get close to the outflow of your filter, where the water flows fastest, and they can pick up the most debris.

They don't have claws like traditional shrimps. At the end of their arms are umbrella like hands which they spread to catch food. My shrimp only swats if they're trying to get his food. They are defenseless against an aggressive fish so I don't recommend housing them with larger cichlids (oscars ) :slurp: .

Back
Top Bottom