What do you Look for in a Pet store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whenever I go to a petstore I look to see if there are any plecos especially (breeding purposes) or just any South American fish in general. Hope that helped. I think the market for New world fish is bigger than any other. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

What kinds of plecos do you look for? My main thing is dwarf plecos and algae eaters. I deal with more parents just looking for a gold fish and a bowl then a real hobbyist. 90% of the people I talk to don't listen to me.

What kinds of plecos do you look for? My main thing is dwarf plecos and algae eaters. I deal with more parents just looking for a gold fish and a bowl then a real hobbyist. 90%of the people I talk to don't listen to me.

Anything that is ancistrus/baryancistrus/peckoltia/panaque. Those are my top 4.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I look for someone in live fish who know what they are talking about!!!! I hate getting mis information or no information at all!

Everyone's hit on great points already with the no dead/unhealthy fish, presentable non-bare tanks, knowledgable employees, etc, so here's one that I haven't seen called out yet...

Bettas. These are often one of the biggest indicators of how good a LFS is for me because they are so tolerant of being mistreated that they're usually the first place a store will cut corners. Besides the obvious of whether any are dead or dying, how do they keep them? Are they packed together on a shelf in tiny cups? Or are they integrated into the other display tanks so they have socialization and space to keep their swimming muscles in shape? A betta that is being kept in a tank with other fish will always tend to be more willing to accept other tankmates when you bring it home and will not struggle or sicken easily when subjected to anything other than dead calm water more than a couple inches deep.

It may seem overkill to judge a store based on one fish type, but this is hugely telling of their general store practices and care level.

Everyone's hit on great points already with the no dead/unhealthy fish, presentable non-bare tanks, knowledgable employees, etc, so here's one that I haven't seen called out yet...

Bettas. These are often one of the biggest indicators of how good a LFS is for me because they are so tolerant of being mistreated that they're usually the first place a store will cut corners. Besides the obvious of whether any are dead or dying, how do they keep them? Are they packed together on a shelf in tiny cups? Or are they integrated into the other display tanks so they have socialization and space to keep their swimming muscles in shape? A betta that is being kept in a tank with other fish will always tend to be more willing to accept other tankmates when you bring it home and will not struggle or sicken easily when subjected to anything other than dead calm water more than a couple inches deep.

It may seem overkill to judge a store based on one fish type, but this is hugely telling of their general store practices and care level.

I love that idea!! I agree! Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom