What do you name your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just like the topic states, what are a few of your favorite fishes named, and why!

ill start:

Purple gudgeon - Ugly (my gf thought he looked pre-historic and ugly so the name stuck) but hes really quite pretty

Clown Loach - Loachy... uhh.... hes a loach, and i like giving cheesy names to my fish, like i did when i was 5

Goldfish - curly , there where two others, they where the 3 stooges, but they died, darn county fair goldfish, lol. but this guy is thriving and hes such a goof, and he is madly in love with the next fish on the list!

Tinfoil Barb - coleen, my barb has sort of a flat face, like my best friends X girlfriend, lol, so i named it after her

Marbled Goby - predator ..... hes a hunter, a stalker, a predator

Weatherloach - moocow, angus, two of my weather loaches are white with different variatons of brown spots, they not only look like cows, they eat like them too

Firemouth cichlid - roberto, my sister named him that, and hes south american, so hey

I once had a solid black Angelfish who was *huge*. I named him "Charlie Manson".
Sick, I know... 8O

Well, I just named my angels:

Porthos- He's smooth and sophisticated and exudes self-confidence and personal style. He's a man of chivalry and honor.

Athos- Brilliant and brave but also clumsy like a nutty professor. He constantly finds himself in awkward situations because he doesn't watch where he's going. He's a scatterbrained hero with a heart of gold.

D'Artagnan - He's young and eager, always the first to charge into the fray. He's courageous, gallant and always wins the day.

Aramis - Strong, silent, broody. He won't run into danger but he will always help his friends or someone in need.

I had a gourami when I was younger named Melvin. And I had a goldfish for 7 yrs named Gina. Can't remember all the other names but those 2 were my all time favs. Oh! And I had a Cori cat named Snuffles. :lol:

Unforyuneatly, most of the fish I currently have aren't distinctive enough to name (platies, danios...) but we named the Rams Glimmer(male) and Rose(female). Rose was named for her pink belly, and Glimmer because he is iridescent.

Original I know, My Pleco is named Plecky, actually was his name before I got him..

Albino Cory Cat in mine is Wiskers (Named by Daughter)

Albino Cory Cat in hers is named Bubbles..

Other then that, they don't really have names (nothing that distinguishable) , My Daughter named a ghost Shrimp in hers, but he hasn't been seen in quite a while. (Snippy)

Midas - Vlad The Impaler: he's like Dracula! He loves killing and eating his tankmates!

My Daughters Tank

Platys: Bubbles, Blade and Flame
Pleco: Spot
Red-eye Tetras: Ed, Edd and Eddie
Mollys: Molly and Patch (he has one black eye)

Mine:

3 Serpae Tetras (Mo, Larry and Curly)
2 Otos: Tom and Jerry

jchillin i like the three musketeer reference

only one of my fish has a name ane that is my first goldie dudaronome'(closest spelling i could find and i am using the new oxford american dictionary) and unabridged)

Platies:
Julius, Caesar, Zeus, Big Mama, Big Belly, Billy Jean, Isis and Osiris
Pleco: Batman
Dwarf Gouramis: Tim and Kevin
Marble loach: Bart
Ghost shrimp: unnamed. We just refer to it as 'the shrimp'

I don't have them all named, just the ones that are unique so here goes....

In my 30gal:

Black lace angel - Black Pearl
Two striped angels - Fayden and Fancy ( fancy is veil tailed )
Red tailed black shark - Maximus Sr.
Featherfin Squeaker - Spike
Three coryies - Larry, Curly, and Moe
4 SA Puffers - Pudgy, Spyro, Nipper and Tucker ( Nip & Tuck )

In my 50gal:

Dwarf Gourami - Buddy
Red tailed black shark - Maximus Jr.
Pleco - Plec ( original I know )
Clown Loaches - The Gang
Bolivian Ram - Merlin
Black ruby barb - Ruby two shoes ( Ruby two for short )

In my 20gal:

Lots of guppies with no names
Male betta - Pucker ( because that was already his name when he came to live with me )

Thats it for now until another name jumps out at me for the rest.

i had a green tiger barb when i first started out that i called Marvin the Martian.

At my point now i don't have time to name the fish, i am sure that if i do, it will stick ... jsut too many of them to keep track of

I named my Danios after my friends: Nancy, Danny, Kim, Danette and James. But now I don't know who is who.

I named my Tetras as follows:
FDR: cause I thought he had Fin (D) Rot, plus he looks like he's handicapped
Lucy: Because I just read a book about FDR and the affair he had with Lucy Mercer
Arnold: Because he is the toughest Tetra of the 3.

I named the Hatchetfish as follows:
Winston
Princip
Schleiffan (I've been reading a lot about WW1).

2 Male Bettas:
I named one Poseidon after the Greek Poseidon. He was (is) my first fish in several years.
The other betta is simply named Blue because he is blue.

2 Black Moores:
One is called Maxwell and the other is Silver (despite the fact that he is black). . . There were originally going to be three, the third to be named Hammer. I was hoping to have Maxwell Silver Hammer after the Beatles song, but Maxwell and Silver will have to do for now.

I named my green corys Cash, Emerald and Jade (hopefully you can guess why) and named my albino corys Ingrid, Sven (my boyfriend came up with those) and the Don (because he grew faster than the others). My other fish don't really have names...

Back
Top Bottom