what do you think about guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benji-star

Aquarium Advice Activist
i was at the lfs today and i saw some guppies and i was very interested in them but the clerk was of no use. what do they require.
any info would be helpful.

Another thing to note about guppies, is to try and get ones that have maybe been at the LFS for a while, as opposed to ones that arrived that day, or the day before. Often times, guppies are inbred, and this causes deficiencies to their immune system. In turn, the shipment from wholesaler to store might stress some out alot more than others. Also, if you can get them from a reputable dealer, that would be better, as you have less of a chance of them being inbred.

Guppies are easy though to care for. Nothing really special needed, just the ability to house the multitude of babies that you will have if you decide to get a female and male. 8O

Good luck.

Guppies are very easy to keep and are pretty hardy, but the one's you find in the LFS don't last very long. The LFS conditions are awful with the crapped tanks and by the time you buy them, your clean water sometimes put's them into shock.

When I first started keeping guppies, mine only lasted about a year. I had to keep on replacing the males until I got into breeding.

If you can get one very nice looking male and several different color females, you could get some nice colorations. And the offspring last around 2-3 years if kept in the right conditions.

The males like that one in my avatar should be very colorful, where the females are pretty dull in color.

You can get lucky sometimes and find some very pretty females too. And the best part is, they are very cheap.

I can get a female here for $1.49, while the males are $1.79. They are so cheap because they breed so often and have tons of fry.

no my snails are in the 40 with my goldies

i am restarting the 20 gallon
all that is in there are 4 blk tetras
that is why i want snail babies so i can have some in all my tanks

I've got close to 15 guppies. 11 of them are fry. When I started, I got 2 pairs of fancy guppies for $3.00 per pair (male and female). Now, they won't stop popping out babies! I even had to buy a new tank to house all the fry.

I have really enjoyed raising the babies. I feel like a grand-dad. Elmer's aquarium has good FAQs on guppies. They're pretty hardy, so not too hard to care for. I'm gonna have to separate out the boys and girls into sex-specific tanks fairly soon. I don't want to have to keep buying tanks for new-born fry!

Back
Top Bottom