what do you think of this ? Pop up aqaurium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are going to actually keep it outside I imagine you would have a lot of problems with algae. If you are actually using it inside, then it seems ok to me. But I don't know anything about it, I've never seen one before. Are you planning on having a filter?

-brent

seems pretty cool, I would use it inside with a filter and heater though, should be fine for goldfish, like Flipz mentioned if it was used outside, you would have an algea problem

yeah i imagine using something like that would be the ultimate pain in the rear. i personally would never try it. use it indoors

ahh -- I was thinking that the algae might be a problem if used outside. Any remedies ?
Will any algae eating fish help? -- also would I need a heater and filter ? I am very good with the water change cycle (I religiously change about 20% on all my tanks once a week)

Thanks in advance@

wow!

that looks cool !

it looks much bigger than 15 gallon
it looks like a 30 gallon!!

I think you would probably run into temperature problems having it outside in NC. The water would get too hot in the summer, and too cold in the winter. A filter would still be necesarry, goldfish are very dirty.

Check out some info on pond keeping to learn about algae problems you may encounter having it outside. To be honest I don't know much about it, other than my tank that is by the window gets easily overrun by algae on a bright day. ;)

-brent

Go read up about ponds.... This is kinda a mini-mini pond .... At 15 gal, there is very little water for stability and I suspect will be a pain to maintain. <Kinda like a nano reef - lots of work for experts only.>

If you want to try it, you might consider smaller fish - like minnows, etc. Golds won't do well in that small a setup for long.

The sides are flexable making it safe for children and easy to maintain.

This would be my concern. If you knock into it or something/someone leans on it, are you going to have water everywhere?

keep it in the shade and algae is less of a problem. snails are a good solution if algae becomes a problem. dark material should also help. adding plants competes w/algae for nutrients
you should be able to keep 5-6 goldies in there (start small).
does it freeze? if so that could be problem. no heater = no food when the water temp falls below 50* F. summer time is when the algae blooms becomes a pain and water temp rises(keep it in the shade)
lets see some pics after you set it up.

Sounds good -- will consider all of this --thanks for the replies

I thought for a goldfish 1 fish = 5 gallons? that is why I was thinking of 2 gold fish as this is 15 gallons, but I may be wrong.

DaLoach said:
you should be able to keep 5-6 goldies in there (start small).

this tank is definitely too small for 5-6 goldies. small ones will just grow, and they are very dirty fish.

swanandmokashi said:
I thought for a goldfish 1 fish = 5 gallons?

1 goldfish per 5 gallons is a safe number, but 1 per 10 gallons is even more accurate and safer. you should be plenty fine with 2 in there, but just keep in mind (like i've said above) that goldfish can be VERY dirty. ;)

sorry i meant START with...

if hes doing pwc of 20% a week itll work, but it will be work

DaLoach said:
sorry i meant START with...

if hes doing pwc of 20% a week itll work, but it will be work
Uhh.. No it wouldn't work. Comet/Common/Feeder (AKA Long) Goldfish get to over 2 feet long. Even Fancy Goldfish get upto 8" .. The most you can have are 2 Fancy Goldfish (Black Moor, Fantails, etc). Even then, you'd have to do plenty of water changes. Once 40% Weekly would be sufficient.

Second what Primetime said ..... Yes, you can keep 5 or 6 babies in 15 gl, but you will have problems within weeks or months. The only way this will work is if you treat the fish as disposable & replace them every few months when they die..... <NOT recommended!>

I would not keep commons in a 15 gal - for optimal results, you need 1 sq foot of surface area per common for swimming room. You can keep a couple fancies in there, but if you are keeping it outdoors, suggests moors or metallic fantails. They are the only fancies hardy enough for outdoors.

I have decided to go with White Cloud Mountain minnows. Once I get the aquarium, I will add my Emperor 280 filter to it -- I know the minnows will like the flow. Also planning to add a heater and then some plants :) :)

Any particaulr plants to avoid for the lower temperature?

Back
Top Bottom