What do you use for black substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilpi

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm looking to change to black gravel or black sand in one of my tanks. Some of the black gravel I've seen looks too shiny and not very natural for my taste.
Just wonder what you guys use?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use black gravel in one of my 60g that I got from Petsmart. On my other 60g I am using black sand called Black Beauty that is gotten from a local quarry and crushed.

I use black gravel in one of my 60g that I got from Petsmart. On my other 60g I am using black sand called Black Beauty that is gotten from a local quarry and crushed.

The Petsmart gravel look like it has an unnatural shine, at least from what Ive seen in the bags at the store.
I'm looking for something more flat or natural looking.

Black diamond blasting grit...get it at Tractor Supply . Here is a pic of my 10 with it . Best pic I have now . There are a lot of pics of it in tanks on the planted tank forum .

Attachments

• 10af.JPG
    10af.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 221
Black diamond blasting grit...get it at Tractor Supply . Here is a pic of my 10 with it . Best pic I have now . There are a lot of pics of it in tanks on the planted tank forum .

I think I'm going with this. Now, there is a medium and fine. Which one are you using?
There's a place right down the road from me that has it, cheap too!

I and most use the 20/40 medium . Make sure it is Black Diamond....only one I use and have seen used . Cheap yea..I pay about $8 for 50 pounds .

I use the black sand from Petsmart in my 30g. Pics posted on my link below if you wanna look at it. :)

Sent from a place where the water is fresh and clean and we all swim free.

Then again it would be if I was on my desktop. Lol It's Carriwin's Tank Adventures thread or in my album. :)

Sent from a place where the water is fresh and clean and we all swim free.

I've used CaribSea Tahitian Moon sand
5ca722074195f99226952b6ee09ca155.jpg

And
I've used Black Diamond blasting sand topped with a layer of TMS ⬆️⬆️
c9046b318a8859e3d9e7d8e95d8a31d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking tanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I forgot to mention if you use the Black Diamond make sure to rinse it very well .

Back
Top Bottom