What else can go in my 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonger

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm rather new to having fish. I recently bought a 10gal to start me off. I was wondering what else I can put in my tank.

I have:
2 giant danios
3 tiger barbs
2 red claw crabs

What else can go with this setup if anything?

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

At this point, I would say that the stock you habe in your tank is sufficient. The crabs really hinder you from getting any other bottom dweller, as they will most likely become food.

If anything, maybe a single small top dwelling fish like a dwarf gourami, but even that is pushing it.

Thanks!...I was thinking of getting a dwarf gourami, but they looked kind of big at the fish store. I was thinking of maybe some bigger tetras.

The problem with tetras is that they are a schooling fish and are best kept in schools of at least 6 or more, and they are mid-dwelling species which you already have.

Welcome fishmonger! I agree. Your 10 gal is pretty well stocked for now. If this is a new set up, be sure to watch the water qualty closely as things can go downhill quickly in small aquariums. Especially during the first few weeks while the tank is cycling.

fishmonger said:
How about another couple of barbs?

I would say one more should be fine, but as savga said, keep a close eye on the parameters of the water. Also, make sure you keep up with tank maintenance on a weekly basis.

I don't think you have room for anything else with those danios and barbs in there. If anything, once they are fully grown you will be overstocked.

ok thanks...1 more thing..My female danio chases the male danio constantly. Is this normal and will it ever stop?

By the way, that place is a ripoff. I got all my fish at more than half the prices they have indicated. At the moment, I only have about 5 inches of fish. So maybe in a year I 'll move up to a larger tank.

yes, it is expensive, but they have reliable information unlike a lot of websites on the internet. Also, small and medium sized fish tend to grow much faster than you'd think and those fish will probably outgrow your tank by christmas (perhaps ask santa for a bigger tank? :D ) But, in the meantime, just keep up with water changes and gravel vacs or else you'll have some nasty ammonia and your fish won't do so well.

no problem. hope you enjoy your fish! this is a great site and everyone is real friendly. I started with a 10 gal last february, and within the next few weeks I'll be starting my 55 gal. I kinda got addicted and I think it was probably because of this site :D

I too think you are overstocked already. Giant danios need room to swim and they will not find it in a 10gal. Tiger barbs do get some size on them and I kept 5 in a 15gal and they outgrew it, so I would not add any more fish. The tight quarters may be responsible for the danios chasing each other.

i have 7 platies 2 male 5 females in my ten gallon all the females are pregnet i love my fish this will be there 10th to 20th batches of babies and the tank is in my room :D :D :D :D

have 7 platies 2 male 5 females in my ten gallon all the females are pregnet i love my fish this will be there 10th to 20th batches of babies and the tank is in my room :D :D :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom