what else could I add? should I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I think I have my tank set at an equilibrium again (knock on wood).

Ick is gone, got a new bristlenose pleco who seems happy and healthy. I lost 3 neons, leaving me with 6.

I would like to replace them with something different but I am not sure what to do. I could get 3 tetras of a different variety, say a glow-light or a head&tail light tetra - but would they school with the neons happily or would they feel threatened in a group of only 3?

I am not sure what else I could add. My tank is very well aerated with a powerhead and I have two different filters running so I believe I can stock it as high as you safely can for a 20 gallon.

Or do I have too much already?

I am going to the city this weekend and would like to get some fish but I need to decide in advance!

TIA

You can go with another schooling fish but they more than likely will not school with your neons. Hatchet tetras are cool & they hang out at the top. Schooling fish do better in groups of 5 or more. Think about getting some corys for the bottom or ottos for eating algea. A couple of mollys or platys would be nice. Just don't over stock.

I don't know if this goes for others too, but my black neons are like the best buddies with other tetras. They swim in schools with my cardinals. They seem to be very active too

i would add a small school of corydoras about 6 at least. i know these would not shoal with your tetras but they look damn good.
i would suggest a small shoal of another type of tetras maybe glowlight tetras:8.
if you feel a bit adventurous you could try some cardinal tetras but be careful there are harder to keep as need good conditions. regular water changes and some frozen or live food will keep them happy.

I think you are about stocked right now. This is especially if you have had problems with illness, which is many times associated with stress and overstocking.

Back
Top Bottom