What else do I need to grow my own algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeWinLDS

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got some spent tank water, a jar, and some rocks for the algae to cultivate on. What else do I need, other than sticking this combobulation outside where it will be in the sun for however many hours the sun is out, for several days?

I could be wrong, but I would assume that if you also put something (like a tank decoration) with algae already on it into your jar it would help the algae start faster. You might want to do some research first, but I've heard that phosphates increase algae growth.

PS if you really want some algae, I've got plenty. I could sell you some if you'd like. (LOL)

(I've got 5 Ottos and 2 Plecos) And no algae in my tank (they must've eaten it all), or if there is any, I can't see it, because it's microscopic. No thanks to the buying of algae; I don't want to spend $4 on shipping.

Lots of light. If you have some miracle gro type fertilizer (for like house plants) add a bit of that.

Some other creatures might manifest, especially if you keep it outside... Or it can come in contact with pesticides, for example.

I put a jar of dechlorinated water in the window and added some of that liquid plant food (a miracle gro knock off I think), it took a while, but I got crazy algae. It was actually messy and nasty. I actually took it out of the light and put a snail in there till it cleared up. Algae is hard to get rid of! Every time I tried putting the jar in the window it would come back (I kept a plant in it).

So I guess this is a good method :D.

Hopefully you'll grow the algae your current algae eaters like. If that doesn't work out, there's always zucchini! (And hopefully the algae won't take to your tank if they don't like it...)

(some places spray pesticides without telling you - they spray for west nile here w/out informing people first. It would be nice so I could avoid breathing it if possible. There was some controversy in nyc that the spray they used was harmful to humans. Naturally my roommate left the windows open when they sprayed. It was not a pleasant experience.)

Bearfan said:
I recommend NOT using Miracle grow, it is not fish safe.

Why is that?

The only thing that I can think of that would be bad is the urea/ammonia. But that in time I would think be broken down by bacteria / converted into a non harmful form by a dechlorinator that handles chloramine. I'm currently reading up on plants and trying to determine how they would use ammonia (some seem to use it in some form), and perhaps the algae would work in the same way? Since he seems to be farming algae on rocks and not adding water to the tank, would the fish not be exposed?

How would an algae tablet work?

I guess if you're not confortable using terrestrial plant fertilizer, you can always use aquarium plant fertilizer to "help" the algae along.

Would adding a cap of Fluorish help (there's lotsa trace nutrients in there that that plants feed on, but in this case, the jar has no plants, so it's all for the algae)? Algae is supposed to be in water at all times, regardless, right? This place (http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hydro/solutions/article-alg.htm) says algae needs CO2, sunlight, and water only, so I'm thinking Flourish Excel instead. Then this place (http://www.tropica.dk/article.asp?type=aquaristic&id=152) says it's all about the nitrogen and phosphorous, so I'm thinking Flourish Phosphorous instead; Nitrates should already be in the spent tank water. Too many.

smilla4 said:
Why is that?

The only thing that I can think of that would be bad is the urea/ammonia. But that in time I would think be broken down by bacteria / converted into a non harmful form by a dechlorinator that handles chloramine.

You assume that 100% of the reaction would take place. A dechlorination product would most likely not resolve it 100%, which would leave harmful chemicals.

smilla4 said:
How would an algae tablet work?

Feed your fish the algae tablets. I feed my SAEs, plecos ant porthole cats algae wafers when adequate algae (almost always inadequate) is not available. I recommend Wardley's, but I know some people like Hikari's as well.

LOL. I thought you meant to use the algae tablet to start the algae in the jar!

I've tried using algae tablets in my tank, but the other non algae eating fish eat them till they're about ready to explode. They just drive the otos away from them. Same with peas. :evil: Zucchini seems to work so far though (KOW).

Well Mike, let us know what happens.

The easiest way to get algae, is to give the water alot of sun and a triple dose of Flourish aquarium fertilizer.

I accidentally did a double dose in my 3wpg 10gal tank, and algae covered EVERYTHING overnight.

Back
Top Bottom