What filter for 55gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emi929

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am keeping 2 oranda cap goldfish, 2 large apple snails, and that's it. What filter should I buy? I have mostly biowheels in my other tanks, so I'm staying with an HOB. what have you guys had? I know they are messy, so I'm gonna need a pretty good turn out rate.

+4 for the ACs. Two AC110s might be a little overkill. Two AC70s would suffice, but the AC110s wouldn't hurt.

+5 on ACs i love them..they are qiuet (unless you get fine sand in the propeller which was totally my fault)

I got my ac110 for around 60 on eBay. Stores seem to sell then around 80-90. Looking back on it pickin up two ac70s might have been a more cost efficient way to go.

If you keep your eyes open you can find them used on Craigslist and eBay. I got my AC110 in like-new condition for $40. I think I paid a little less than that for my AC70 somewhere online.

Goldfish produce a huge bioload. The 110's would be a good choice. I have a 37 gal and enough filtering for 100 gal in my goldy tank (nearly 3:1?) and it's doing really good.

Correct me if I'm wrong but most will say, you can never have too much filtering capacity.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Too much filtration, not really. Too much flow, yes. You reach a point though where you're filtering at such a capacity that any additional filtration is simply a waste. You can only keep the water so clean, and there will only ever be as much bacteria as the ammonia can keep fed.

mfdrookie516 said:
Too much filtration, not really. Too much flow, yes. You reach a point though where you're filtering at such a capacity that any additional filtration is simply a waste. You can only keep the water so clean, and there will only ever be as much bacteria as the ammonia can keep fed.

Makes sense about too much flow (Goldie's don't like that). Would Emi929 be better off looking at a canister or FW sump then?

Sent from my Epic 4G

i had a problem with cloudy water in my 30 gal tank a few months after i got it (it was my first tank, used, and came with the old version of Wisperer30) i tried doing larger water changes but it didnt seem to be making a difference. i got an Aquaclear 70 and not only did the water clear up but it became crystal clear within one week.

long story short i recomend aquaclear filters

Got it, thanks again rookie.

Is there a formula to follow? As in, is my 3:1 ratio good/bad/OK? Emi, with 2 - 110's on a 55 gal is looking at a 4:1 ratio, correct?

Sent from my Epic 4G

Back
Top Bottom