What filter media do you use in your xp3?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my bottom tray, I have the used filter media I used to seed my tank. The second tray has the black foam pads and the third tray has a white foam pad and the biochem zorb. What does this biochem zorb bag do? And what other media should I have in my XP3?

Nik

biochem zorb is a zeolite/activated carbon based filter media that is especially helpful in adsorbing ammonia and clarifying water

bioballsm.JPG

They are balls that are cut in a way to allow some more surface area for bacteria to grow.

EDIT * Got another pic of bioballs in before I could finish my post... :)

I use ceramic rings for the same purpose (building up a bacteria colony). I run two xP3's on my 72g each with the black foam at the bottom in a couple of layers (most course to finer), then in the middle bottom I use ceramic rings, middle top use white filter floss and fill the top with white filter floss.

I do not use the Zeolot / Carbon as it is not recommended for planted tanks (removes chemicals that I am adding to fertilize the plants).

HTH

I hadn't planned on putting another biochem zorb pack in when it was time to change it... I just wanted the white filter floss plus the black filter... I'll also get some bioballs. Thanks for the info guys!

Nik

Back
Top Bottom