what fish are OK in a 5 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
so here are the three things i wanna do with this tank tell me which one is most interesting and best for the fish.
1.planted betta tank.

2.planted shrimp tank. how many shrimp would be ok in here? im getting cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp.

3. planted with 3-endler guppys .

what plants would do good in this tank? here is the one im ordering.
Walmart.com: Hawkeye 5 gal Tank Aquarium Kit: Fish
thanks

bc what if i get a betta that likes to eat shrimp??

There's lots of people that have bettas with other fish/inverts and the only time I've heard of a betta going after anything is other male bettas or fish with long/flowing fins that look like bettas.

You should give the shrimp cover (so he can't get to them) and IMO/E shrimp should have cover/hiding places even in a shrimp only tank. I also don't have a mirror to make mine flare, which I think is an unkind thing to do in the first place.

I hear it's hard to keep them from breeding lol. If your goal is to breed them, then the betta could be an issue, but with a nice patch of java moss or something similar, you might be OK.

wouldnt it eventually overcrowd the tank? i have a betta already in a 5 so maybe start with 5 rcs and let them breed. and just focus on plants.

wouldnt it eventually overcrowd the tank? i have a betta already in a 5 so maybe start with 5 rcs and let them breed. and just focus on plants.

The betta and maybe the ghosties will keep that in check :p. I'm all for plants and having them with shrimp is a must in my book. Java fern or anubias on a small piece of DW works great for me.

i decided ill redo my current 5 gallon with the betta and put some ghost shrimp in it. then ill make the new 5 gallon a highly planted rcs tank with 20-40 rcs but only starting with 5-10 rcs.lots and lots of projects for me yay :)

allaboutfish said:
haha maybe the guest bedroom should be converted into a tank room where people can sleep. lol

No guest bedroom, but I'm working on getting my daughter more involved in aquatics so I can put another tank or 3 in her room lol.

haha im thinking of just going around the house and getting as many container as i can and getting spoonge filters for each and just set them all up.

It'll work great if you are planning to let your betta eat the RCS. Keeping shrimp (dwarf shrimp especially) with male bettas is not usually a good idea. There are some exceptions but I'd hardly base any normality off of them.

So, if you don't mind losing them, go for it, but otherwise, don't.

As far as fish go, there are lots. a small group of celestial pearl danios works, pygmy killifish, pygmy sunfish, least killifish all work, scarlet gem badis, and a few other nanos that I can't think of the names of off the top of my head.

i don't usually give stocking advice around bettas because males are very tempermental. Some work with other fish, some don't. IMO it's something you are just going to have to trial and error with. That said, I would not add any other fish to a 5g that already has a betta in it, there just isn't much room to work with.

Back
Top Bottom