What fish can I add to this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
40 gallon tank, fully cycled been running for a little over a year. Has 3 neons (going to the store to add more today, figured while I'm at it I'll get some more fish), 5 gold barbs and 6 danios. Not sure what's been happening to the neons, I used to have 6 but somehow they disappeared without a trace.

I tried cories and platies, they didn't work too well together. I was thinking gouramis maybe but back when my dad had a 70 gallon the gouramis and angels always ate the neons.

Ammonia and nitrite levels are flattened so not a worry about adding sensitive fish, the case is more relative to compatibility.

Before you get gold barbs and danios look into cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras I think you would like them a lot. Do you have a sand bottom or sharper gravel? If its sand you could get kuhli loaches. If its sand or smooth gravel you could do a stock of

6- Neon Tetra
6- Cherry Barbs
6- Harlequin Rasboras
6- Kuhli Loaches

As far as a center piece goes you could do a dwarf, honey, or a single pearl gourami.

I think the OP meant they already had gold barbs and danios.
I think if you got the angel as a baby, and it grew up around the neons it would not eat them.

Oh I thought they meant they were going to the store to get those with the neons haha my bad.

I just purchased a baby marbled angelfish, he's adorable and loves the roomy tank compared to the five gallon prison cell he was in at petco lol. But I saw something very peculiar that was being sold at Petco which were freshwater flounders. I first must say I didn't know flounders could exist in fresh water, but there was no label on them so I didn't purchase them.

I can't tell if it's a coincidence but I feel that Petco purposely removes the label descriptions of rarer or fish that grow incredibly large to prevent discouragement from having customers but that specific fish. There was no label for the Paroon shark or the Jack Dempsey fish either, both sold as babies but I am aware they grow to an enormous size out of prior research

Anyone want to fill me in on these freshwater flounders? They appeared to be no larger than an inch and a half or so. Like I said there was no label

There most likely a ray pleco. Did they look like a sting ray body shape?

Well I'm not really sure what you mean cause technically all flounders sort I have that circular disc shape sting rays have, but like a flounder it's eyes were on one side and it swam like one too. I did notice some sticking to the wall as a Pleco would however

I just googled ray plecos and the one I saw at the store are definitely not the ones you're talking about. These are full on flounders like baby freshwater flounders

So my stocking is now

6 gold barbs
6 neon tetra
6 danio
1 baby marbled angelfish as centerpiece

Still seems a bit vacant, could I add perhaps another angelfish or a dwarf gourami?

I wouldn't add much else perhaps a small Cory shoal of 6 for the bottom I wouldn't add anything else. What type of Danio? Don't worry the tank will fill in when the angelfish gets bigger.

I wouldn't add much else perhaps a small Cory shoal of 6 for the bottom I wouldn't add anything else. What type of Danio? Don't worry the tank will fill in when the angelfish gets bigger.

Zebra danio and yeah when my dad had a 72 gallon tank I remember our angels grew huge. Mines not supposed to exceed 6 inches though.

I tried cories, didn't have much luck with them. Every time I put in a school they died in about a week, no idea why so I stopped after a while. I had sinking foods and they looked to be eating too, just strange

You could add 6 Kuhli loaches instead.

Are those the loaches that look like eels? I would like some bottom feeders now that you mention it, but I feel like 6 loaches would overload the tank. But I will consider those! I remember I had clown loaches but those get too big lol

Back
Top Bottom